Scotland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910 .
- 1 Collection History
- 2 Collection Time Period
- 3 Civil Registration and Church Records
- 4 Description of Index
- 5 Known Issues with This Collection
- 6 Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
- 7 Citation for This Collection
For over 30 years, volunteer indexers extracted this information from microfilm copies of the original records. In 2001, some of the entries were published on 16 CDs by the Family History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the “British Isles Vital Records Index: England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.” This is an index of some marriages throughout Scotland. The index is not necessarily complete for any particular place or region.
| This article or section is in the middle of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article
has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.|
Collection Time Period
This index covers events from 1561 through 1910. 98% of this collection consists of pre 1875 records. Most of the remaing 2% are post 1876 records. There are no Scotland indexing projects currently, so this collection is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.
Civil Registration and Church Records
This collection is an index to civil registration and church records. Church records and civil registration were official records and are some of the most reliable sources of information available for those who were born, married, or died in Scotland.
To learn more about these records consult the following wiki articles:
Description of Index
The index, Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910, is to be used as a tool to locate and view the original documents. The documents or records record more than what is found in the index.
98% of the names indexed with in this collection are:
- Pre 1855 Church of Scotland Records
- Civil Registration 1855 to 1875
2% of the names indexed with in this collection are:
- Church of Scotland post 1855
- Denominations other than the Church of Scotland
The primary record classes, pre 1855 Church of Scotland and Civil Registration 1855 to 1875 are not to be considered complete; though, a high percentage of the records are in the index. (95% to 98%)
How to Use the Index
Use this index to help you learn more about your ancestors. The information could help you identify family relationships and lineages as well as direct you to original records of your ancestors, which may contain additional information.
Extraction is a process whereby indexers index relevant data from a record. The extraction took place on a parish level. The indexed records of each parish were assigned one or more batch numbers. The extracted records are not 100% complete as those records already in the IGI when the extraction took place in the 1980's were not included in the batches. Those records not in the batches can still be found on the old FamilySearch site and New-FamilySearch.
Searching the Index
Upon finding a person in the index, the typical data one would expect to find is a name of those married, Date and Place. Two other relevant items are the:
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: The hyperlinked batch number takes you to all those records in that batch which covers one parish for a particular number of years, so you can search just the records in that batch. (There is typically more than one batch number per parish) A website commonly referred to as Hugh Wallis IGI Batch Numbers is a site where you can view and search all the batch number for a Parish.
- Source Film Number: The source film number refers to a microfilm of an orginal record from which the batches have been created. This is the record that may provide additional information not found in the index. Search the library catalogue using the film number, and if need be order the film through a Family History Center. Reading the hand writing may be a challenge
Other Indexes of these records
- ScotlandsPeople - Has an index of these records with digital images for a fee
- preferred website to access the post 1855 Civil Registration Records
- It costs over £1 to view each page of the parish registers, so the filmed collection is a better alternative; however, you can still use the index on the website to locate records, for a small fee.
- Scottish Church Records Index provides a complete index of all the records. It is only available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, please read the attached wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Example of a Source Citation for a Record Found in This Collection
"Scotland Marriages, 1561–1910." index, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org): accessed April 7, 2011). entry for Andrew Shinan and Janet Wilson, married 4 December 1811; citing Marriage Records, FHL microfilm 1,041,386; Index entries derived from digital copies from original and compiled records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
"Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910," index, "FamilySearch" (https://www.familysearch.org). Index based on the International Genealogical Index, Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah. FHL digital index. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.