Welcome to the page for Scotland! FamilySearch Wiki is a community website dedicated to helping people throughout the world learn how to find their ancestors. This page is the portal to all that the wiki has to offer on Scotland. Through the Scotland portal page you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Scotland records of genealogical value. However, these pages are works in progress and their content will grow with time. We invite you to contribute information.
- Browse: Pages for Scotland
- Beginners Guide 1855 to 1901: Finding Records of Your Ancestors Scotland 1855 To 1901 (42 Mb pdf file).
- Article: Getting Started - how to get started with your Scottish research.
- Article: Scotland History
- Article: Scotland Church Records Union List - introduction to this resource available in the Wiki.
- Article: ScotlandsPeople - information about this premier website for online access to Scotland's genealogical records.
- County list
- Personal names
- Glossary of terms
- Record selection table
- Handfast tradition
- Map of Scotland counties
- Strategies for locating births, marriages, and deaths
News and events
- Scottish Family History Fair, Aberdeen, 25th April 2009 - SAFHS
- International Genealogy Festival at Strathclyde University, Glasgow, 21-24 July 2009
- Clan Gathering in Edinburgh, July 25 & 26, 2009
Did you know?
- An index of 21,000 passengers who left the ports of Glasgow and Greenock for non-European ports is available online at Aberdeen University. The dates are 1 January and 30 April 1923, and at other Scottish ports between 1890 and 1960. You can find these records on the Scottish Emigration Database
- Hebridean Connection is a new and ongoing site useful for those searching in the Western Isles of Scotland.
- One of the saddest events in the history of the Gareloch is the K13 submarine disaster, which took place during World War 1 on January 29 1917.