Schoolcraft County, Michigan Genealogy
|Schoolcraft County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||March 9, 1843|
|Address|| Schoolcraft County Courthouse|
300 Walnut St. #164
Manistique, MI 49854-1491
Phone: (906) 341-3618
Schoolcraft County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, divorce,
court and land records from 1870.
Probate Court has probate records from 1870. 
1843--Schoolcraft County was created 9 March 1843 from Chippewa and Mackinac Counties. It was attached to Chippewa, Houghton, and Marquette Counties prior to organization 23 March 1871. County seat: Manistique 
Lakeview Cemetery, Manistique, MI
Fairview Cemetery, Manistique, MI
Thompson Cemetery, Thompson, MI
Civil War service men from Schoolcraft County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Schoolcraft County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
- www.seekingmichigan.org is a free database that has Michigan Death Certificates from 1897-1920, Civil war volunteer records, property records and other historical documents.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- www.seekingmichigan.org is a free collection of historical documents and vital records.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Schoolcraft County, Michigan page 350, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).