Sargent County, North Dakota Genealogy
Sargent County, North Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Sargent County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
Location of North Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 9, 1883|
|Address|| Sargent County Courthouse|
215 E 2nd Street
P O Box 668
McClusky, ND 58463
Adams County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk of District Court has birth records from 1943, marriage, death,
divorce, probate and court records from 1909, burial records
from 1910 and military records from 1918; Register of Deeds has land
records from 1909
A portion of the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation is in Richland County. The remainder of the reservation is in Marshall, Roberts, Day, and Codington Counties in South Dakota and in Richland County in North Dakota.
Church records can be found online, kept onsite at the church, or housed in a church archive or library. See North Dakota Church Records for more information on how to locate the records.
Havana Trinity Lutheran Church
- Records of Havana Trinity Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Milnor Lutheran Church
- Records of Milnor Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
United Norwegian Lutheran Church
- Records of United Norwegian Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Probate records, including wills and estates, are at the county clerk's office. See also North Dakota Probate Records.
County tax records are at the county treasurer's, auditor's or clerk's office in the county courthouse. Some tax records may have been moved to the North Dakota State Archives.
Birth, marriage, death, and divorce records may be recorded on registers, certificates, or other documents at the county clerk's office. Many records are also being digitized and put online. See North Dakota Vital Records for more information about availability and how to access them.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sargent County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sargent County, North Dakota. Page 526 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.