Santa Margarita California Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
We are a locally operated Family Search Center sponsored by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Located in the City of Rancho Santa Margarita, California, our center is hosted and housed in the Santa Margarita Stake Center of the LDS Church.
- Our center's services are free and open to the public.
- We invite all who are interested in family history to visit our center.
- Our center has microfilm and a microfiche readers for patrons use.
- The films can be ordered on-line for delivery to our center for your use.
Family History Center volunteers can show you how to use the center’s resources. To make your visit most effective, collect and organize the information you already have. Bring as much information as you have about the ancestor you wish to research, including available birth, marriage and death information. FHC staff can help you use that information to begin creating a Family Group Record
High-quality videos are available for the rookie genealogist and the seasoned veteran alike. The Genealogy in 5 Minutes playlist demonstrates how, in just a few minutes, individuals with little or no genealogy experience can make some headway on their family’s history. Getting Started & Five Minute Geneology
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 30422 Via Con Dios, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
- Map directions: / Santa Margarita California Family History Center
- For entrance to our center park on the west side of the building and enter the double doors at the center of the building. After entering the building go left down the short hall. We are adjacent to the stairs for the stage.
Phone: 949-766-7826 (Call during business hours or leave us a message)
- Tuesday, 6 pm - 9 pm
- Wednesday, 6 pm - 9 pm
- Thursday, 6 pm - 9 pm (2nd Thursday of each month closed for staff meeting)
- Sunday 9 am to 5 pm
- Additional houes TBA
Holiday Schedule: (We are closed on the following days)
- September 11 Stake Conference
- October 2 General Conference
- November 22-29 Thanksgiving
- December 20 -- Jan. 3 Christmas
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events: Open House at Stake Conference,
Saturday Sep. 10 @ 6-7 pm & 9-10 pm. Sunday Sep. 11 @ 9-10 am & 12-1 pm
Class Schedule: One on one assistance durring business hours.
Staff Training Meetings: 2nd Thursday of each month @ 7 pm
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog. To have your films sent to our center, locate the "Santa Margarita California Family History Center" and then select our center for delivery of your films when ordering. You will recieve an e-mail when your film(s) arrive at our center
Databases and Software
- FamilySearch The Family Search web site hosts: • The Ancestral File. • The International Genealogical Index. • The Pedigree Resource File database. • US Social Security Death Index • Vital Records Index • 1880 United States Census • 1881 British Isles Census• 1881 Canadian Census
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions including:
19th Century British Newspapers
Alexander Street Press (American Civil War Collections)
Ancestry.com (Family History Library edition)
Genline FamilyFinder (Swedish)
Godfrey Memorial Library
Hardware and Equipment
- Printer for computers only
- Microfilm Readers
- Microfiche reader
Staff Research Specialties
- Family Search Learning Center Family Search has produced and continues to provide professional on-line classes for Family History research. These classes include research in the following countries: Australia, Canada, England, Europe, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Scandinavia, Spain and The United States. Additionally, you will find focused skill level classes for Advanced, Beginner, and Intermediate research and more!
- One-On-One Assistance
Resources in the Local Area
- Why Family History is Important
- California California Family History Resource Page
- Family History Centers • There are over 4,500 family history centers operating in more than 100 countries. • Local FamilySearch Centers are staffed by helpful volunteers. These centers are branches of the Family History Library.
- Family Search WIKI Research your Family History, Contribute Your Knowledge to the Wiki, Store great research tips you learn about but may not be ready to use yet and Collaborate in the Wiki
Volunteer at the Center
All who are interested in family history, including all community members, are invited to volunteer at our center. All you need is a willingness to learn and must abide by our centers policies of conduct as outlined by Family Search while at our center.