Sandwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts Genealogy
Establishment and former town name(s)
Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].
6 March 1638: Certain persons were ordered to "... goe to Sanditch, and set forth their bounds of the lands graunted to them". (Ply. Col. Rec., Vol I, p. 80)
Archiac name: Pocasset, Pokesset, Sanditch, Scusset, Shaume
Section/Villages within the town: East Sandwich, Farmersville, Forestdale, Greenville (extinct), Jarvesville, Monument Village (current town of Bourne), Plowed Neck, Sagamore Hill, Sand Hill, Scorton, South Sandwich, Spectacle Pond, Spring Hill, Wakeby
Wikipedia: Sandwich, Massachusetts
2 March 1652: Bounds between Sandwich and Barnstable to be established.
10 June 1662: Bounds between Sandwich and Barnstable to be established.
7 June 1670: Bounds between Sandwich and Plymouth as established Jan. 19, 1663, ordered to be recorded.
29 October 1672: Bounds between Sandwich and Barnstable established.
7 July 1681: Bounds between Sandwich and "Suckanesset" established.
28 October 1684: Bounds established.
28 November 1735: Bounds between Sandwich and lands of the proprietors of Mashpee confirmed.
26 February 1811: Part of the plantation of "Marshpee" annexed.
1 April 1859: Part of the district of "Marshpee" annexed.
13 March 1860: Part of the district of "Marshpee" annexed.
19 March 1872: Part re-annexed to Mashpee.
19 March 1880: Bounds between Sandwich and Falmouth established.
2 April 1884: Part established as Bourne.
27 May 1887: Bounds between Sandwich and Mashpee established and part annexed to Mashpee.
20 April 1905: Bounds between Sandwich and Mashpee established and part annexed to Mashpee.
24 April 1916: Part annexed to Barnstable.
Bay View Cemetery (1864)
Cedarville Cemetery (1805)
Forestdale Cemetery (1826)
Freeman Cemetery (1806)
Mount Hope Cemetery (1775)
New Town Cemetery (1977)
Old Quaker Cemetery (ca. 1670s)
end Quaker Road (no stones)
Old Town Cemetery (1683)
Percival-Hablin Family Cemetery (1831)
Poor Farm Cemetery (1823)
Crowell and Charles Sts (no stones)
Quaker Cemetery (1694)
behind Quaker Meetinghouse
Saddle and Pillion Cemetery (1676)
at the end of Wilson Rd
St. Peters Cemetery (1865)
Grove and Pine Sts
South Sandwich Cemetery (1811)
Spring Hill Cemetery (1812)
Tobey Cemetery (ca. 1788)
Quake Meetinghouse Rd.
Joe Wilson Family Cemetery (1886)
off Rte. 130
Wakeby-Goodspeed Family Cemetery (1803)