San Carlos Apache Indian Agency (Arizona)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Apache, Mohave, Yuma
Some records of the San Carlos Agency are in the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Laguna Niguel, California, including some records of interest to family historians. A few administrative records are also in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for San Carlos Agency, 1882-1900, are on rolls 45-46 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1617718-1617719).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1887-1890, 1892-1902, 1904-1912, and from 1914 thru 1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 461-470. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581455-581462 and 581479-581480). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the San Carlos Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 125-126, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1724343-1724344).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.