Difference between revisions of "Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (added info)
m (corrected)
Line 13: Line 13:
 
'''1626:''' Founded at the mouth of Naumkeag (a Wampanoag Indian name).  
 
'''1626:''' Founded at the mouth of Naumkeag (a Wampanoag Indian name).  
  
'''1629:''' Renamed Salem. '''23 March 1836:''' Incorporated as a city. '''4 April 1836:''' Act of March 23, 1836, accepted by the town.  
+
'''1629:'''
 +
 
 +
'''23 March 1836:''' Incorporated as a city.  
 +
 
 +
'''4 April 1836:''' Act of March 23, 1836, accepted by the town.  
  
 
'''Archiac name:''' Fort Mary, Naumkeag, Nehume, Sholom Naumkeag.  
 
'''Archiac name:''' Fort Mary, Naumkeag, Nehume, Sholom Naumkeag.  
  
'''Section/Villages within the City:''' Atlantic, Baker's Island, Blubber Hollow, Buffum's Corner, Carltonville, Castle Hill, Forest River, Gallows Hill, Juniper Point, Misery Island, Navon, North Salem, Salem Neck, Salem Willows, South Salem, The Point, Turnpike, Winter Island.  
+
'''Section/Villages within the City:''' Atlantic, Baker's Island, Blubber Hollow, Buffum's Corner, Carltonville, Castle Hill, Forest River, Gallows Hill, Juniper Point, Misery Island, Navon, North Salem, Salem Neck, Salem Willows, South Salem, The Point, Turnpike, Winter Island.
  
 
==== Boundary Changes ====
 
==== Boundary Changes ====

Revision as of 18:17, 10 August 2009

Icon-warning.png
The Etobicoke Family History Portal is getting a facelift. Please bear with us whilst this process evolves, and stay tuned for loads of great content to assist with your Family Research.

Please add any comments to the talk page.

United States > Massachusetts > Essex County > Salem
This article is about a city in Massachusetts. For other localities, see Salem

City Hall

Quick History

Salem, Massachusetts Historical Background

Establishment and former town name(s) [1]

1626: Founded at the mouth of Naumkeag (a Wampanoag Indian name).

1629:

23 March 1836: Incorporated as a city.

4 April 1836: Act of March 23, 1836, accepted by the town.

Archiac name: Fort Mary, Naumkeag, Nehume, Sholom Naumkeag.

Section/Villages within the City: Atlantic, Baker's Island, Blubber Hollow, Buffum's Corner, Carltonville, Castle Hill, Forest River, Gallows Hill, Juniper Point, Misery Island, Navon, North Salem, Salem Neck, Salem Willows, South Salem, The Point, Turnpike, Winter Island.

Boundary Changes

4 March 1634: Bounds established between Marble Harbor and Salem.

4 March 1635: Bounds established between Salem and Saugus, and Salem and Marblehead.

20 November 1637: Bounds between Salem and Saugus certified.

13 March 1639: Bounds between Salem and Lynn established.

5 November 1639: Land granted to inhabitants of Salem establish Salem Village. Marginal note reads: "Land granted to Salem Village, now Wenham"

13 May 1640: Grant of land to inhabitants of Salem for a village at "Jeffryes Creeke" and the bounds of the said village referred to certain men to settle.

3 May 1642:

14 May 1645: Part called "Jeffreyes Creek established as Manchester.

2 May 1649:

19 October 1649:

16 October 1666: Certain islands known by name of the "Miserjes & Bakers island", granted to Salem.

29 May 1664:

7 November 1668:

20 June 1728: Part included in new town of Middleton.

11 September 1753: Part annexed to Beverly.

17 March 1840:

30 April 1856:

3 April 1867:

27 March 1882: Part of Peabody annexed.

Wikipedia

Geographic location: Google

GNIS ID # 619453

Neighboring Communities

Beverly | Danvers | Lynn | Marblehead | Peabody | Swampscott |

Resources

Archives and Libraries

Biography

Business and Commerce

Cemeteries

Church History and Records

Directories

Dwellings

Genealogy

History

Land and Deed Records

Maps

Military History and Records

Naturalization and Citizenship

Occupations

Public Records

Social Life and Customs

Taxation

Town Records

Vital Records

Family History Centers

Lynnfield Massachusetts
400 E Essex St
Lynnfield, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
Phone: 781-334-5586
Call ahead for hours
Closed: The month of August

Peabody Essex Museum
161 Essex St
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
Phone: 978-745-1876
Call ahead for hours
Attention: Microfilms from the Church can be ordered at this facility

Websites

  1. Historical data relating to counties, cities, and towns in Massachusetts (Boston, Massachusetts : New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1997), [FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997].