Difference between revisions of "Saguache County, Colorado Genealogy"
|(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)|
|Line 125:||Line 125:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
Saguache Crescent - 316 4th Street, PO Box 195, SaguacheCO 81149; 719.655.2620 Publisher: Dean Coombs. There is no email or internet connection with Saguache Crescent. Either call or send mail to PO Box listed above.
Crestone Eagle- 180 W Galena Ave, CrestoneCO 81131; 719.256.4956 Publisher: Kizzen Laki
[http://.com/Center Post Dispatch- 835 1st Avenue, Monte VistaCO 81144; 719.852.3531 • Fax: 719-852-3387 Publisher: Valley Publishing
==== Obituaries ====
==== Obituaries ====
Revision as of 21:34, 22 May 2013
Guide to Saguache County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Saguache County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|Address|| Saguache County Courthouse|
501 4th Street
PO Box 655
Saguache, CO 81149-0176
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 2.1 County Seat
- 2.2 Parent County
- 2.3 Neighboring Counties
- 2.4 Record Loss
- 2.5 Resources
- 2.5.1 Bible Records
- 2.5.2 Biography
- 2.5.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.5.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5.5 Census
- 2.5.6 Church Records
- 2.5.7 Court Records
- 2.5.8 Directories
- 2.5.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.5.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.5.11 Gazetteers
- 2.5.12 Genealogy
- 2.5.13 History
- 2.5.14 Land and Property
- 2.5.15 Maps
- 2.5.16 Military
- 2.5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.5.18 Newspapers
- 2.5.19 Obituaries
- 2.5.20 Periodicals
- 2.5.21 Probate
- 2.5.22 Public Records
- 2.5.23 Repositories
- 2.5.24 Taxation
- 2.5.25 Vital Records
- 2.6 Places
- 3 Web Sites
Note: Use the PO Box information to connect with county courthouse. This is a rural agricultural county and PO Box is needed for a majority of the residences and businesses in this area.
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1874.
Saguache County Courthouse is located in the county seat which is in the Town of Saguache, Colorado 81149.
The courthouse's physical address is 501 4th Street, Saguache CO and this two story building is on the south-west corner of 4th Street and Christy Avenue. As this is a rural community, mail delivery is picked up at the local post office.
The mailing address for Saguache County Courthouse is: PO Box 655, Saguache CO 81149
Administration phone number: 719-655-2231.
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Before 1861 the southern one-third of this modern Colorado county was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Costilla County).
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
- 1866 Saguache County was created 29 December 1866 from Costilla County.
Business Records and Commerce
For tips on accessing Saguache County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Saguache Crescent - 316 4th Street, PO Box 195, Saguache, CO 81149; 719.655.2620 Publisher: Dean Coombs. There is no email or internet connection with Saguache Crescent. Either call or send mail to PO Box listed above.
- Crestone Eagle connection Crestone Eagle- 180 W Galena Ave, Crestone, CO 81131; 719.256.4956 Publisher: Kizzen Laki
- Center Post Dispatch on-line Center Post Dispatch - 835 1st Avenue, Monte Vista, CO 81144; 719.852.3531 • Fax: 719-852-3387 Publisher: Valley Publishing
Family History Centers
- Northern Saguache County Public Library
- Saguache Branch
Baca Grande Branch
702 Pitkin Street
Saguache CO 81149Crestone CO
Telephone: (719) 655-2551
and then Saguache County proper with residents unaffilated with a township.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 101, Saguache County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- Handybook, 98, Costilla County, Colorado.