Round Valley Indian Agency (California)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Yuki, Yupu, Pit River, Concow (Konkau), Ukiah (Yokaia), Wailaki, Redwood (Whilkut), Pomo, Salan Pomo (Potter Valley), Little Lake, Nomelaki
The Round Valley Agency was established in 1865 and is located in Mendocino County in northeastern California. It was known as Nome Cult prior to 1861, and was a part of the Nome Lackee Agency. This agency was also responsible for Indians who had lived on the Medocino Reservation prior to 1864.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Round Valley Indian Reservation. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Round Valley Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Reservation. They are recorded as District 208, Round Valley Indian Reservation, in Mendocino County, California.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Round Valley Agency, 1883-1900, are on rolls 43-44 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1617716-1617717).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1885-1905, 1909, and 1915-1923. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 447-449. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581441 thru 581443). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online