The original name of Rockville was The Rocks. It was also a precinct for voting and census purposes for a short time in the 1920s, but was annexed to Homedale precinct in 1928.
Rockville was located on McBride Creek in Succor Creek Canyon in western Owyhee County, about 2.5 miles off the ION Highway (US Hwy 95), south of Marsing, and McBride Creek Road.
There is a small cemetery at Rockville.
Church Records and History
At the present time there are no churches listed in Rockville.
A directory of the residents and businesses of Rockville in 1898 is included in A Historical, Descriptive and Commercial Directory of Owyhee County, Idaho. A copy of the directory is in the Idaho State Archives, the Owyhee County Museum, and other Idaho libraries. It is also available on microfilm through the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and its many family history centers.
Originally established in the 1870s as a state station, it was granted a post office in 1885. At its height, it had a frame house, a saloon, and other buildings, including a 19-room hotel which was built in 1903. That building included sleeping rooms and a dance hall and became a center for local activity. Rockville was abandoned in 1928 when the new road through Succor Creek Canyon to Jordan Valley bypassed it. The hotel was torn down in 1930.
A school existed at Rockville for a few years, but nothing is known of the records of the students who attended there.
Idaho Ghost Towns entry for Rockville
- Sixteenth Census of the United States: 1940. Population. Volume 1: Number of Inhabitants. See footnotes for Owyhee County.
- A Historical, Descriptive and Commercial Directory of Owyhee County, Idaho. Silver City, Idaho: Press of the Owyhee Avalanche, 1898.
- Meril Ebbers. "The Rocks," The Bulletin, newsletter of the Owyhee County Historical Society, July 5, 2010.