Difference between revisions of "Roberts County, South Dakota Genealogy"
("Added county history intro".)
|Line 83:||Line 83:|
==== Local Histories
==== Local Histories ====
==== Maps ====
==== Maps ====
Revision as of 01:54, 21 June 2013United States South Dakota Roberts County
Roberts County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Roberts County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 8, 1883|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Roberts County Courthouse
411 2nd Ave East
Sisseton, SD 57262
Clerk Courts has birth, death, burial, records from 1905,
marriage and divorce records from 1890, probaate and court
records from 1889; Register of Deeds has land records
A portion of the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation is in Roberts County. The remainder of the reservation is in Marshall, Day, and Codington Counties in South Dakota and in Richland and Sargent Counties in North Dakota.
- Big Stone County, Minnesota
- Richland County, North Dakota
- Sargent County, North Dakota
- Traverse County, Minnesota
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Records of Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church, Roberts County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trondhjem Lutheran Church
- Records of Trondhjem Lutheran Church, Roberts County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See South Dakota Land and Property for additional information about early South Dakota land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Roberts County, South Dakota Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section South Dakota Local Histories.
South Dakota tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Roberts County, South Dakota, p.627
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).