Riverton FamilySearch Library/Events
Saturday, May 12 - 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Merit Badge Workshop
The library offers a monthly workshop to assist Boy Scouts with their Genealogy Merit Badge. The workshop is held the second Saturday of each month at 11:00 a.m.
Scouts must prepare for the workshop by doing the following before coming:
1) Interview a family member about their life. The interview can be completed by telephone, e-mail or letter and the information learned must be recorded;
2) Complete a four-generation pedigree chart. Make sure this includes information about at least one ancestor who was living in 1930;
3) Complete two family group sheets (one listing your parents and your family, and another listing one of your parents and their parents and siblings); and
4) Bring a blue merit badge card (which can be obtained from the Scoutmaster).
If these items are completed and brought to the workshop, all other requirements for the merit badge can be completed at the workshop and authorized personnel can certify the completion of the merit badge.
Genealogy Merit Badge Resources
- Boy Scout Merit Badge in Genealogy - FamilySearch Wiki
- Boy Scouts of America Genealogy Merit Badge Workbook - BSA
Saturday, May 19 - 9:00 a.m. - noon
The library offers a free seminar every third Saturday of the month. An opening session is held at 9:00 a.m. featuring a keynote address. Following this session attendees are offered four choices of presentations at both 10:00 and 11:00 a.m.
Keynote Address - "Pioneer Faith" - Glenn Rawson
Glenn Rawson grew up on a ranch. His love of the outdoors carries to this day. It isn't unusual to find him outside in his free time, running, bird watching, hiking, or just taking a deep breath. Professionally, he has been a teacher for nearly 30 years, and that brought him to telling stories. He borrowed this philosophy for telling stories from Abraham Lincoln who said, “They say I tell a great many stories. I reckon I do, but I have learned from long experience that plain people...are more easily influenced through the medium of a broad and humorous illustration than in any other way.”
He loves people and especially his family. Glenn and his wife Debbie have seven children and two grandchildren. They live in Idaho. He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Brother Rawson is a radio and television personality known for being the voice of the inspirational stories on the Sounds of Sunday program and for being the writer, producer and host of KJZZ Television's The Joseph Smith Papers and KSL Television's History of the Saints TV series.
- “Families and the War Between the States: Getting to Know Your Civil War Era Ancestors" - Yvonne Curry
- "YouTube Your Family History" - Devin Ashby
- "Bit Size Pieces - How to Write Your Personal History" - Rose Ann Fisher
- "Top 10 Data Issues & How to Avoid Them" - Amanda Terry
- “Synchronizing Your AQ or PAF Data with New FamilySearch Using Ancestral Quest" - Gaylon Findlay
- “FREEBMD The Free Online Civil Registration Index for England and Wales- Don and Diane Snow
- "Consultant & Other Family History Callings Online Resources" - Amanda Terry
- "Family History is More Than Names, Dates, Places" - Eldon and Dorothy Walker
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 7:00 p.m.
The Doctrines of Family History Work
- A Discussion with Elder Dennis C. Brimhall of the Sixth Quorum of the Seventy
Elder Dennis C. Brimhall was named a member of the Sixth Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 4, 2009.
Elder Brimhall received a bachelor of science degree in Zoology from Brigham Young University in 1972. He later received an MBA from Northwestern University. He began his career in 1974 working as an Associate Administrator ot the University of Utah Medical Center and later as Chief Operating officer at the Medical Center at University of Califronia San Francisco and then as Chief Executive Officer at the University of Colorado Hospital. Currently he is managing Director of the Family History Department for the Church.
Elder Brimhall has served in numerous Church callings, including full-time missionary to Auckland, New Zealand, elders quorum president, stake mission president, high councilor, stake president and mission president.