Riverton FamilySearch Library/Events
Saturday, June 11, 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Merit Badge Workshop
The library offers a monthly workshop to assist Boy Scouts with their Genealogy Merit Badge. The workshop will be held the second Saturday of each month at 11:00 a.m.
Scouts must prepare for the workshop by doing the following before coming:
1) Interview a family member about their life. The interview can be completed by telephone, e-mail or letter and the information learned must be recorded;
2) Complete a four-generation pedigree chart. Make sure this includes information about at least one ancestor who was living in 1930;
3) Complete two family group sheets (one listing your parents and your family, and another listing one of your parents and their parents and siblings); and
4) Bring a blue merit badge card (which can be obtained from the Scoutmaster).
If these items are completed and brought to the workshop, all other requirements for the merit badge can be completed at the workshop and authorized personnel can certify the completion of the merit badge.
Saturday, June 18, 9:00 a.m. - noon
The library offers a free seminar every third Saturday of the month. An opening session is held at 9:00 a.m. featuring a keynote address. Following this session attendees are offered four choices of presentations at both 10:00 and 11:00 a.m.
9:00 a.m. - Keynote Address - "Family Search Now and in the Future" - Ron Tanner
10:00 a.m. - “Online Member Trees: Ancestry's Powerful Tool Keeps Getting Better!” - Lisa Arnold
10:00 a.m. - "The Tired, the Poor, the Huddled Masses, and the Wretched Refuse: U.S. Immigration from 1820 - 1954" - Beth Taylor
10:00 a.m. - "To be Announced"
10:00 a.m. - "Great Grandpa Was a Mormon: LDS and Utah Records" - Don and Diane Snow
11:00 a.m. - “Sharing Family History with the Genealogically Challenged" - Crista Cowan
11:00 a.m. - “What's New in German Research on the Internet" - Baerbel Johnson
11:00 a.m. - "RootsMagic" - Sue Maxwell
11:00 a.m. - "To be Announced"
Tuesday, June 21, 2:30 - 8:00 p.m.
1st Anniversary Open House
The Riverton FamilySearch Library will celebrate its first anniversary on June 21, 2011. Special activities have been planned to commemorate this milestone. Several presentations will be provided throughout the day. Visitors will have the opportunity to use the library's many resources, ask questions or simply enjoy the special atmosphere. Everyone is invited!
Schedule of Events
Presentations scheduled every half-hour from 2:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• Introduction to the FamilySearch Library and Computer Desktop
• Introduction to Indexing
• Introduction to newFamilySearch
• Introduction to Family History (youth)
• Children’s Family History Activities
Continuous Video Presentations
• “Granite Mountain Vault” - Rome Room
• “Celebration of Family History” - Nazareth Room
Hands-on Library Activities
• Try out the state-of-the-art equipment
• Find your family in newFamilySearch
• Do some Indexing
Pick up free informational handouts
• How Do I Start My Family History?
• Member’s Guide to Temple and Family History Work
• Genealogy Research Cycle – 5 Basic Steps
• Boy Scout Merit Badge Workshop flyer
• Schedule of Summer Indexing Classes
. . . and more