Ripley County, Indiana Genealogy
|Ripley County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||December 27, 1816|
|Address|| Ripley County Courthouse|
PO Box 177
Versailles, IN 47042
Ripley County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 1.1 Populated Places
- 1.2 Boundary Changes
- 1.3 Neighboring Counties
- 1.4 Parent County
- 1.5 Places/Localities
- 1.6 Record Loss
- 1.7 Ripley County, Indiana Resources
- 1.8 Histories
- 1.9 Repositories
- 2 Ripley County, Indiana Web Sites
- 3 Ripley County, Indiana References
Ripley County, Indiana Resources
Ripley County Cemeteries and Locations rootsweb
For tips on accessing Ripley County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Ripley County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Businesses in Ripley County, Indiana (1858, 1868) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and religious Groups
- History of Ripley CountyLinkpendium
- Ripley County History Book Committee, Ripley County Historical Society (Ripley County, Ind.), and Daughters of the American Revolution. Ripley County History, 1818-1988, Ripley County, Indiana. (Osgood, IN: Ripley County History Book Committee, 1989.) 977.214 H2r FHL US/CAN Book 977.214 H2r v. 2 FHL Collectionother libraries
Land and Property
War of 1812
Civil War service men from Ripley County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ripley County.
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company H
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company K
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies C, and D
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company B
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company B
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company G
- 37th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A, D, and Reorganized Company A
- 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 68th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, E, and K
- 83rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, E, F, G, and K
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 156th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
World War I
- Residents of Ripley County who served in WWI ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
World War II
=Naturalization and Citizenship
Probate records are court records created after an individual’s death that relate to a court’s decisions regarding the distribution of the estate to the heirs or creditors and the care of any dependents. These documents are important to family history researchers because they usually exist for time periods before civil birth and death records were kept. While probate records are one of the most accurate sources of genealogical evidence, they have limitations.
The Circuit Court has responsibility for the probate records of Ripley County.
The following Ripley County probate records have been indexed and transcribed:
- The University of Mary Washington has indexed and transcribed probate inventories for Dearborn, Franklin, and Ripley counties.
Ripley County Courthouse
PO Box 177
Versailles, IN 47042
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1818.
County Recorder has land records. 
Family History Centers
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
Ripley County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ripley County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Ripley County, Indiana References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ripley County, Indiana 216 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.