Ringway, Cheshire Genealogy
RINGWOOD (St. Peter and St. Paul), a markettown and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Ringwood, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing, with the tythings of North Ashley, Bistern with Crow, Burley, and Kingston, it is 20 miles (W. S. W.) from Southampton. The town is situated on the eastern bank of the navigable river Avon. A railway was completed in 1847, from Southampton, by Ringwood, to Dorchester. The parochial chapelry of Harbridge was annexed to it. At Bistern and Burley are other churches. There are places of worship for Independents and Unitarians.
Ringway St Mary and All Saints was established in 1515 as "Ringey Chapel," a chapel of ease in Bowdon, Cheshire Ancient Parish.
In 1720 a New Chapel was built and a year later Dissenting worshippers were forcibly ejected from the chapel.
The Chapel became the Parish Church of All Saints in 1863. On 20 April 1895 the present building was consecrated. Designed by Preston & Vaughan of Manchester. Built by William Brown and Son of Salford at a cost of £3,000. Financed by Wilbraham, Baron Egerton of Tatton. Dedication to St. Mary added in memory of Baron Egerton’s first wife.
Ringey Chapel is shown on a map of 1577 by Christopher Saxton. On a later map by John Speed it was wrongly named but marked just south of the River Bollin. On later maps it was put right as Ringey.
Sir Peter Leycester mentions it as a ‘Chapel of Ease’ which was seized during the Civil War by the non-conformists.
In about 1721 John Grewe of Crewe Hall inherited the Lordship of Ringway and declared his intention of restoring the chapel to the Established Church.
In 1863 it had been detached from Bowdon and became a District Chapelry. The records of Baptisms commenced in 1751 but those of burials at Ringway did not begin until 1821, burials before this time being at Bowdon.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Bucklow (1900–74)
- Manchester (1974–2009)
- Cheshire West and Chester 2009-
Registration events can be searched online at Cheshire BMD
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Bowdon, St. Mary (C of E). The ancient parish church for Ringway.
Ringway, St. Mary & All Saints (C of E). Founded 1751 as a chapel to Bowdon, becoming a parish church in 1863. Closed in 1967 and replaced by Hale Barns, All Saints. Registers of Baptisms 1751–1959, Marriages 1864–1967 and Burials 1826–1997 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office
The chapelry of Ringway, or Ringey, is in the parish of Bowden. Ringway later became a parish.
Cheshire Record Office Call number: P236/5388/1-2, 6.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1751-1785, 1905-1959. Burials, 1826-1992.||BRITISH 2147302 Items 1 - 3|
Bishop's Transcripts The chapelry of Ringway, or Ringey, is in the parish of Bowden. Cheshire Record Office call number: EDB 175.
|Bishop's Transcript Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1793, 1786-1792, 1794-1798, 1800-1816, 1818-1892. Burials, 1826, 1829-1830, 1832-1869, 1871-1879, 1883-1892.||BRITISH 1701325 Item 2|
|Baptisms, 1786-1798, 1800-1816, 1818-1828, 1831, 1863-1870, 1887, 1891. Baptisms, burials, 1829-1830, 1832-1862, 1871-1886, 1890-1892.||BRITISH 1836023 Item 1|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel, A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), adapted 25 Jan 2013
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.