Riddings, Derbyshire Genealogy
Riddings is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1835 from Alfreton, Derbyshire Ancient Parish.
RIDDINGS, a township and ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Alfreton, union of Belper, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (S.) from Alfreton; the township containing 1841, and the district 4500 inhabitants. This place, with Watnall in Nottinghamshire, formed the half of a knight's fee. It was anciently the property of the Chaworths, and subsequently of the De Ryddinges, who, in the early part of the reign of Henry III., were resident here: the old manor-house was pulled down about the year 1809. The manor is now vested in James Oakes, Esq. Here are extensive iron-works and furnaces for smelting iron-ore, immense quantities of which, and of coal, are obtained in the immediate neighbourhood, affording occupation to a large portion of the inhabitants. The population of Ironville, which is part of Riddings, are employed in the adjacent mines, forges, &c., of CodnorPark. At the iron-works in Riddings, called the Alfreton Iron-works, large quantities of ordnance stores are manufactured for the service of the British government and the East India Company. These works were established about 1801, and have greatly increased the population, which prior to that period was but small, although in early ages Riddings was of considerable consequence. The coal formation surrounds the hill on which the village stands, in the shape of an inverted basin, having a dip on every side. There are six workable beds of coal, and at least twelve separate mines, or rakes, as they are technically called, of ironstone: a sandstone rock, very low in the series, yields a large and constant quantity of water, containing about twelve per cent. of common salt, which is not at present applied to any use. The blast furnaces here were the first at which metallic titanium, in the form of brilliant cubic crystals, was found to be produced; and another curious product of these works, of late years, is cyanide of potassium, in a state of great purity: it oozes out of the sides of the furnaces, about three or four feet above the part at which the scoria, or cinder, as it is called, is allowed to escape. The source of the potassium is the peculiar kind of ironstone in use here, which, on analysis, has been found to contain potash: the titanium has a similar origin. A branch of the Cromford canal, connected with Mansfield by a railway, passes through the village. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Alfreton. The church, a neat edifice with a tower and spire, in the early English style, dedicated to St. James, was erected in 1830 by the Parliamentary Commissioners, the inhabitants subscribing £1000; it affords accommodation to 1000 persons. A parsonage-house was subsequently provided; and schools in connexion with the Church were built in 1844, for about 600 children. The schools are in the Elizabethan style, and are very ornamental to the neighbourhood: they comprise three rooms for the separate instruction of boys, girls, and infants, as also a master's house; and are provided with all the modern improvements for perfect warming and ventilation. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans; and Sunday schools attached to them. A piece of land called the Chapel Yard, adjoining the residence of the proprietor of the iron-works, indicates the site on which a chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene formerly stood.
From: 'Rickerby - Ridware, Pipe', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 665-668. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51237 Date accessed: 14 March 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Lichfield Record Office has deposited Bishop's Transcripts Bap1845-1869 Mar none Burials 1845-1869 Missing Bap/Bur1850-1867
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.