Rhuddlan, Denbighshire, Wales Genealogy
"RHUDDLAN, a borough, sea-port, and parish, partly in the hundred of Prestatyn, and partly in that of Rhuddlan, county of Flint, 11 miles (W. by N.) from Holywell, 16 (W. by N.) from Flint, 21 (N.W. by W.) from Mold, and 220 (N.W.) from London, containing, with the chapelry of Rhyl, 1506 inhabitants. The name of this place, which is of very great antiquity, is supposed to be derived from the red coulour of the soil on the banks of the river Clwyd, on which it is situated. The town appears to have been of considerable importance from the earliest period; and the adjoining marsh, called by the Welsh "Morva Rhuddlan" is distinguished as the scene of a memorable and sanguinary battle which took place in the year 795. ... The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, partly in the early style of English architecture. ... There are places if worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, the two latter having also places of worship at Rhyl." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
For more information on Rhuddlan see: Genuki - Rhuddlan
|before 31 March 1974||Flintshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.