Rhode Island in the Civil War
Rhode Island furnished 25,236 soldiers to the Union Army. The men were organized into about 10 infantry regiments, 4 cavalry units, and 6 artillery units (including one Colored Troop).
The Wikipedia article, Rhode Island in the American Civil War, has additional information.
Rhode Island Military Units
Most units were numbered, however, some were named. See the table below for lists of the regiments, battalions, batteries, and unassigned companies.
The information in the lists of Rhode Island Military Units comes from the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors web site. That web site can also be searched by the name of a soldier.
Records and Resources
- Indexes to service (Family History Library films 821940-46) and pension records of Union army soldiers are on film at the Family History Library. The service and pension records are available only at the National Archives. For more information see Union Service Records and Union Pension Records.
- A published roster of soldiers is in Rhode Island Adjutant General, Annual Report of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations For the Year 1865, 1866, Revised, Two Volumes. (Providence: E. L. Freeman, 1893-95); Family History Library book 974.5 M2ri; film 982363; fiche 6046949; 1866 ed. on film 908721. This includes each soldier's residence, his date of enlistment, his dates of muster-in and muster-out, and regimental sketches.
- Civil War Pension Index Cards - An Index to Pension Applications of veterans who served in the US Army between 1861-1917 is available on FamilySearch. Each card gives the soldier’s name, application and certificate numbers, state of enlistment, and might include rank and death information. The majority of the records are of Civil War veterans, but the collection also includes records for veterans of the Spanish-American War, the Philippine Insurrection, the Indian Wars, and World War I. For more information see Union Pension Records.
- 1890 Census Veterans Schedules - The 1890 Census Veterans Schedules, the "Special Schedules of the Eleventh Census (1890) Enumerating Union Veterans and Widows of Union Veterans of the Civil War" (NARA M123) are available online for the state of Rhode Island. The schedules list Union veterans and their widows living in Rhode Island in 1890. For more information on the 1890 Veterans Schedules see Union Census Records.
- How to Order Military & Pension Records for Union Civil War Veterans from the National Archives - by Cyndi Ingle Howells www.cyndislist.com
Ancestry.org - a paid subscription site with Military Records and Military Indexes
The Caleb Fiske Harris Collection on the Civil War and Slavery at the Providence Publid Library
Civil War Battle summaries- Summaries of battles that were fought in the Civil War in alphabetical order
Civil War Index - Primary Source Material on the Soldiers and the Battles
Civil War Links - Soldiers & Generals, and Unit Indexes
Civil War Reenacting Unites - Union Companies
The Cartes de Visit Album & History of the First Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry R.I.D.M. - Thumb Nail Civil War Biographies.
Don Toiani's regiments and niforms of the Civil War - by Don Troiani, Earl J. Coates, Michael J McAfee available at Google books
Fold3 - 31,923,107 records in Civil War Records
Frederickscurg and Spotsylvania County Battlefields Memorial, National Military Park, Virginia - The Bloodiest Landscape in North America
Digital Book Index - Free eBooks on Civil War Regiments
The Civil War Relicman Harry Ridgeway - sells authentic relices from the Civil War
Rhode Island at Gettysburg - Monuments
Rhode Island Civil War Facts - at n2genealogy.com
Rhode Island Civil War Regimental Histories Book Collection on CD - available to purchase at The Historical Archive.com
Rhode Island Civil War Regiments at genealogybooklinks.com. This site has links to many books on line.
Rhode Island Historical Society - Official records and personal diaries
Military Research helps
Geocities.ws - Roster of all Union Civil War Officers of Rhode Island.
Genealogy Quest- Lists of Soldiers, Serving in Unites from Rhode Isalnd
PBS.org - Images of the Civil War
Providence Public Library - Regiments Embarking at Providence for New York and Washington-Illustration
375th Essays Providence and Civil War - Providence and Civil War by Frank J. Williams, the chair of the Rhode Island Sesquicentennial Commemoration Commission.
Community College of Rhode Island - CCRI professors share history of the Civil War, April 25, 2011
The Civil War Archive Union Regimental Index for Rhode Island - /a listing of all regiments that fought durint the U.S. Civil War
Tewksburys in the Civil War - Lists people with the surname of Tewksbury who served in the Civil War
Memoirs of Rhode Island Officers who were engaged in the service of their country during the Great Rebellion of the South.- by John Russell Bartlett, the Secretary of State of the State of Rhode Island available on Google Books.com
Official Army register for September 1869 - by United States. Adjutant-General's Office. available on Google Books.com
Uniforms of the Civil War: An Illustrated Guide for Historians, Collectors, and Reenactors - Ron Field, Robin Smith available on Google Books.com
- Wikipedia.org, Rhode Island in the American Civil War, (accessed 17 March 2011)