Red Cliff Indian Agency (Wisconsin)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The school on the Red Cliff Reservation was under the La Pointe Agency until 1912, when it became an independent agency. The agency was abolished in 1922 and the Indians were assigned to the La Pointe Agency. The school closed in 1923.
Some records of the Red Cliff Agency, 1878-1954, are in the Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Chicago, including:
- Census rolls, 1878-1935
- Court records, 1905-1922
- Individual Indian Case Files, 1908-1920
- School census, 1912-1926
- Tribal registration cards, 1913-1915
- School attendance cards, 1923-1926
- And other administrative records of the agency
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1912, 1914-1917, and 1919 thru 1922. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 417. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 581442). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Red Cliff Agency, 1912-1922, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, roll 114, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724332).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy 595, p. 51
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M1011, p. 27.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online