Real County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Real County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Real County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 3, 1913|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Real County Courthouse
County Clerk - Bella A. Rubio
P. O. Box 750
Leakey, TX 78873
Fax: 830-232-6888 
Comanche, Apache and Lipan-Apache settlements preceded the establishment of the Spanish Mission of San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz in 1762. Anglo-American settlement began in 1857.
Real County is named for Julius Real (1860-1944), a former member of the Texas State Senate.
Places / Localities
Camp Wood | Leakey | Rio Frio
- Clark Cemetery and Graveyard Flat Cemetery from the Real County TXGenWeb site
- Cypress Creek Cemetery from cemeteries-of-texas.com
- Exile Cemetery from the Real County TXGenWeb site
- Vance Cemetery from the USGenWeb Archives
- Rio Frio Cemetery map
- Real County Cemeteries cemetery list, transcriptions, maps, information
- Leakey Floral Cemetery Booklet available from the Real County Historical Museum
- Rio County Cemetery Books - may still be available from the Real County Historical Museum - Book One: Frio Canyon Cemeteries (within Real County), 1864-1997; Old small cemeteries in Real County; Book Two: Leakey Floral Cemetery; Book Three: Rio Frio Cemetery. More information.
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
Land Survey Abstract Indicies ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Wagons Ho, A History of Real County, 1995, by Marjorie Kellner. A history of Real County. Available from the Real County Historical Museum
- Tragedy at the McLaurin Ranch, by Margaret McLaurin Henderson. Available from the Real County Historical Museum
- Old Timers by Florence Fenley Book. Available from the Real County Historical Museum
- Breaks of the Balcones, 1967, by Allan A. Stovall.
- Nueces Headwater Country, 1959, by Allan A. Stovall.
- Real County Bibliography Books written about Real County from the Real County TXGenWeb site.
- Real County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Real County Historical Museum website
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Real County 1915 Land Office Map online from the Portal to Texas History
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Real County Korean War Casualties ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Civil War Pension Applications ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Real County Public Library Website
225 Main St
Leakey, TX 78873
Phone: (830) 232-5199
Camp Wood Public Library
106 Nueces St
Camp Wood, TX 78833
Phone: (830) 597-3208
Real County Historical Museum Website
Located 1/2 block North of the Real County Courthouse on Evergreen Street in Downtown Leakey
P.O. Box 852
Leakey, TX 78873
Phone: (830) 232-5330
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- Real County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Real County TXGenWeb Site
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Real County, Texas. Page 672 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- HistoricTexas.net: Real County http://www3.historictexas.net/real-county-texas
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).