Rappahannock County, Virginia Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 21:19, 22 October 2011 by Murphynw (Ambler)
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county is named after the Rappahannock River.
- Lost census: 1890
- Tombstone Transcription Project Rappahannock County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Ambler] Pecquet du Bellet, Louise. Some Prominent Virginia Families. 4 vols. 1907. Reprint, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. FHL Film 1036136 see also FHL Collection. Index: FHL Book 975.5 D2p index. Digital versions available online: Vol. 2 | Vol. 4 | Index. All four volumes have been digitized by Ancestry ($).
- [Amiss] Ray, Laura Collison. The Amiss Family of Amissville, Rappahannock and Culpeper County, Virginia. Washington, D.C.: L.C. Ray, 1952. FHL Collection 1303284
- [Baggerly] Chase, Addie Bell Baggerly. Descendants of John Baggerly (ca. 1700-1770) of England -- to Montgomery County, Maryland, 1746 and His Son John Baggerly (1737- ) of Maryland and Culpepper (now Rappahannock) County, Virginia, Sometime After 1776. Typescript, 1955. FHL Collection 1035568 Item 6
- [Brown] Burgess, Jane F. "William Brown (1758-1843) of Culpeper and Rappahannock Cos., Va., and His Children," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2002):202-221. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 46
- [Johnson] Yancey, Dennis J., Don Coulsby, et al. "Johnson Family of Culpepper and Rappahannock, Va.," Yancey Family Genealogical Records Collection of Material. MSS. 1995. FHL Collection 1598293 Item 8
- [Nethers] Noyes, Mary Nethers and Thelma Yowell Coppedge. Line of Arnold Nethers & Ellen Hoffman, Sarah Nethers & Walker Jenkins, Lucy Ann Nethers & Silas Jackson Monroe, Rebecca Nethers & Pascal Jenkins Rappahannock, Culpeper, and Madison Counties, Virginia. 3 vols. Oshkosh, Wisconsin: M.N. Noyes & T.Y. Coppedge, 1980. FHL Collection 929.273 N382nc
- [Yancey] Yancey, Dennis J., Don Coulsby, et al. "Johnson Family of Culpepper and Rappahannock, Va.," Yancey Family Genealogical Records Collection of Material. MSS. 1995. FHL Collection 1598293 Item 8
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Rappahannock County on page 133.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Rappahannock County, p. 100. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- [Gibson] Davis, Bruce G. "Gibson Family Bible, Rappahannock County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 14, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1970):163-164. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Rappahannock County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 21, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1977):220-222. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).