Putnam County, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Church
- 4.3 Court
- 4.4 Genealogies and Biographies
- 4.5 Land
- 4.6 Local Histories
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military
- 4.9 Miscellaneous
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
See the following:
- Putnam County Courthouse (GenWeb)
The area that eventually became Putnam County, Missouri was a part of Chariton County when Missouri was admitted to the Union in 1821. Later, this area was a part of Sullivan County. Putnam County was formed from Sullivan County 28 Feb 1845.
The original county seat of Putnam County was Putnamville, located in the northeastern part of the county. The county seat moved to Winchester 6 Jan 1849. Sometime around 1853 this was again moved, this time to Harmony. The name of Harmony was changed "a few years later," according to Campbell's 1874 Missouri gazetteer, to Unionville.
Originally, the county was divided into the following townships: Cochran, Elm, Grogan, Locust, and Richland.
The first county court was held 28 Apr 1845 in the home of James Cochran.
Putnam County was formed in 1845 from Sullivan County. County seat: Unionville 
See an interactive map of Putnam County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For information on Putnam County townships, see:
- Township Formation History (GenWeb)
- Cason Family Cemetery (FHL book 973 V3g, film 599835 item 2; Vol. 5, pg. 214)
Genealogies and Biographies
- Putnam County Early Photos (photos of individuals) (GenWeb)
- Putnam County Family Group Sheets (GenWeb)
- Putnam County, Missouri Registered Surnames (GenWeb)
- Map of Putnam County townships (Histopolis)
- Plat Book, Putnam County, undated (estimate late 1920s-early 1930s; click on "other views" for additional pages) (University of MO Digital Library)
- Putnam County Township Map (GenWeb)
- Putnam County Veterans (GenWeb)
- Old Postcard Pictures - Unionville (GenWeb)
- Unionville Republican (est. 1865), Unionville
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
- Putnam County Historical Society (GenWeb page)
- Putnam County Public Library
- Putnam County Public Library (GenWeb page)
- "Putnam County, Missouri," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).