Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy
Guide to Putnam County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Putnam County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||December 31, 1821|
|Address|| Putnam County Courthouse|
1 Courthouse Square Street
PO Box 546
Greencastle, IN 46135-0546
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Putnam County, Indiana Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Migration
- 2.17 Military Records
- 2.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.19 Newspapers
- 2.20 Obituaries
- 2.21 Occupations
- 2.22 Periodicals
- 2.23 Probate Records
- 2.24 Public Records
- 2.25 Taxation
- 2.26 Repositories
- 2.27 School Records
- 2.28 Taxation
- 2.29 Vital Records
- 2.30 Voting Registration
- 3 Putnam County, Indiana Web Sites
- 4 Putnam County, Indiana References
Putnam County, Indiana Resources
- A surname index (43,478 listings)of many cemeteries in Putnam County is available at the Putnam Public Library site.
- Cemeteries-InGen Web
- see Cemeteries - Linkpensdium
- Putnam County pioneer cemeteries
For tips on accessing Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Putnam County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
- Putnam County Churches - INGenWeb
- Directory of Businesses in Putnam County, Indiana (1858) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Ellsworth, Spencer. Records of the Olden Time, or, Fifty Years on the Prairies Embracing ... the Organization of the Counties of Putnam and Marshall, Incidents and Reminiscences Connected Therewith, Biographies of Citizens, Portraits and Illustrations. (La Crosse, Wis: Brookhaven Press (a division of NMT Corp.), 2003.)other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Putnam County - Linkpendium
Land and Property
- Family Maps of Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Military War data - INGen Web
- see Military Records and History - Linkpendium
- Veterans in Putnam County, Indiana (1913) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
War of 1812
- Residents of Putnam County Who Served in the Mexican War (1846-1848) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Civil War service men from Putnam County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Putnam County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company E
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company C
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies F, H, and K
- 13th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company F, and H
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 15th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 20th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 27th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and I
- 43rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and H
- 59th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 78th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (60 days, 1862), Companies A, and B
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Companies C, H, and I
- 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and G
- 133rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864),
- 149th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, H, and I
- 156th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D, and E
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Wabash Valley obituary index contains most of Vigo County, but much of other counties, including Putnam. These are indexes to obituaries published in Terre Haute newspapers from 1900-2007.
- An obituary index from The Banner Graphic, newspaper of Greencastle, covers 1975 to the present and is updated every two weeks at the Putnam Public Library site.
- see Newspaper Records - Linkpendium
Putnam County Courthouse
1 Courthouse Square Street
PO Box 546
Greencastle, IN 46135-0546
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1822,
Divorce and Probate Records from 1825
and Court Records from 1828.
County Recorder has land records. 
Family History Centers
The Putnam County Library has a Local History and Genealogy Department. You can search all their indexed books and databases from this Web site.If you find something of interest, the librarians will do a short look up for you for free.
- Birth Records; Death Reports; Marriage - INGenWeb
- Indiana States Digital Archives has Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Naturalization Record's.
- 1882-1888 - Putnam County Birth Index 1882-1888 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- see Vital Records - Linkpendium
- 1882-1909, 1942-1955 - Greencastle Death Index 1882-1909 and 1942-1955 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1922 - Putnam County Death Index 1891-1922 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Putnam County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Indiana State Library has an Internet page of records for Putnam County. They are adding new databases, so check back often.
- Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Putnam County Public Library's Local History and Genealogy Department
Putnam County, Indiana References
- "Putnam County, Indiana," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Putnam County, Indiana 216 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/8/8d/Igiindianah.pdf.