Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy
Guide to Providence County, Rhode Island ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Providence County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
|Founded||June 16, 1729|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Cities
- 5 Towns
- 6 Villages
- 7 Resources
- 7.1 Archives and Libraries
- 7.2 Cemeteries
- 7.3 Census
- 7.4 Church History and Records (Rural)
- 7.5 Court
- 7.6 Directories
- 7.7 Ethnic, Religious and Political Groups
- 7.8 Land
- 7.9 History
- 7.10 Maps
- 7.11 Military History and Records
- 7.12 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 7.13 Newspapers
- 7.14 Probate
- 7.15 Taxation
- 7.16 Vital Records
- 8 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 9 Websites
- 10 References
Providence County Courthouse
250 Benefit Street
Providence, RI 02903
Probate Judge has probate records
Family Court has divorce records;
Municipal Court has court records;
Recorder Deeds has land records;
Town and City Clerks have birth, marriage and death records
(22 towns in Providence Co) Towns Organized Before 1800; Cranston 1754, Cumberland 1746-7, Foster 1781, Gloucester 1730-1, Johnston 1759, North Providence 1765, Providence 1636, Scituate 1730-1, Smithfield 1730-1
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
Named for the Divine Providence.
16 June 1729: Renamed Providence County. 
1703: Formed as Providence Plantations County.
For animated maps illustrating Rhode Island County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Rhode Island County Boundary Maps" (1643-1963) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
The following are locations in the county:
- North Providence
- North Smithfield
- Branch Village
- Cumberland Hill
- Hanton City
- Lime Rock
- Union Village
- Valley Falls
Archives and Libraries
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Rhode Island Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
Church History and Records (Rural)
- 1861-1924 - Fold3 ($) has Providence City Directories 1861-1924 available online.
- 1895-1935 - Providence House Directories at Providence City Archives website - free. 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899, 1900, 1901, 1903, 1905, 1907, 1909, 1911, 1913, 1915, 1917, 1919-1920, 1921-1922, 1923-1924, 1925-1926, 1927-1928, 1929-1930, 1931-1932, 1933-1934, 1935.
Ethnic, Religious and Political Groups
Cottrol, Robert J. The Afro-Yankees : Providence's Black Community in the Antebellum Era - Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press 1982. (Contributions in Afro-American and African Studies, 0069-9624; no. 68) FHL 974.52 F2c
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1778-1784, 1799-1828 - The Providence Gazette at Google News - free.
- 1779-1781 - The American Journal and General Advertiser at Google News - free.
- 1785-1795 - The Providence Gazette and Country Journal at Google News - free.
- 1799-1801 - The Providence Journal at Google News - free.
Online Probate Records
- 1582 – 1932 Rhode Island Wills and Probate Records 1582-1932 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1775 The Providence probate records to 1775 with index at FHL 022385
- 1740s-1760s - Drowne, Henry Russell. "Some Vital Records of Providence, R.I.," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jan. 1915):80-81. Digital versions at Internet Archive - free; New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 46. Includes baptisms, marriages.
- 1630 - 1945 - Rhode Island Town Clerk Vital and Town Records 1630-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1636 - 1930 - On American Ancestors ($): Providence, RI: Alphabetical Index of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1636-1930.
- 1931 - 1940 - On American Ancestors ($): Providence, RI: Alphabetical Index of Births, Marriages and Deaths, 1931-1940.
See also How to order Rhode Island Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- Rhode Island Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 433,
Greenville Public Library,
573 Putnam Pike,
Greenville, RI 02828
- Rhode Island Historical Society,
110 Benevolent St,
- Blackstone Valley Historical Society,
P.O. Box 125, 1873 Louisquisset Pike,
Lincoln, RI 02865
TEL: (401) 725-2847
- Burrillville Historical and Preservation Society,
Box 93, Old Bridgeton School,
16 Laurel Hill Avenue,
Pascoag, RI 02859
TEL: (401) 568-8534
- American French Genealogical,
78 Earl St,
Lincoln, RI 02865
- Rhode Island State Library,
State House, 2nd floor,
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2473
- Rhode Island Historical Society Library,
121 Hope Street,
Providence, RI 02906
TEL: (401) 273-8107
- East Greenwich Free Library,
82 Pierce Street East,
Greenwich, RI 02818
- Lincoln Public Library,
Old River Road,
Lincoln, RI 02865,
Phone: (401) 333-2422
- Louttit Memorial Library,
274 Victory Highway,
West Greenwich, RI 02817
Phone: (401) 397-3434
- Robert H Champlin Library,
1043 Main Street,
West Warwick, RI 02893,
Phone: (401) 828-3750
- Warwick Public Library,
600 Sandy Lane,
Warwick, RI 02886
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Providence County, RI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Providence County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Providence County.
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Providence County
- Providence County RI Genealogy
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].