Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy
|Providence County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
Location of Rhode Island in the U.S.
|Founded||June 16, 1729|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Clickable Town Map
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
Named for the Divine Providence.
16 June 1729: Renamed Providence County. 
1703: Formed as Providence Plantations County.
- Lost census: 1890
Places / Localities
Clickable Town Map
Archives and Libraries
For tips on accessing Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
Church History and Records (Rural)
Fold3 ($) has Providence City Directories 1861-1924 available online.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
The probate records of Providence, 1670 to 1730, have been published. See Frank Calef's index to Providence probate records of 1663 to 1775 (FHL 022385).
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- The Providence County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Providence County.
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Providence County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].