Preston County, West Virginia Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
- Preston County
101 West Main Street #101
Kingwood, WV 26537
- County Clerk had birth, marriage, dead
- Probate and land records from 1869
- Clerk Circuit Court has divorce & court records
See an interactive map of Preston County boundary changes.
1869--The courthouse burned.
Places / Localities
- Genealogy of Some Early Families in Grant and Pleasants Districts, Preston County, West Virginia. Baltimore, Md., 1977.
- [Wotring] Bell, Raymond Martin and Mabel Ghering Granquist et al. The Wotring-Woodring Family of Pennsylvania. 3rd ed. Washington, Pa., 1968. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 2243.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Preston County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia Vital Records: Birth, Death, Marriages
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).