Pope County, Arkansas Genealogy
|Pope County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 2, 1829|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- 1829-1830 -- A temporary county seat was established at the home of John Balinger on the Arkansas River.
- 1830 -- The county seat was established at old Norristown. No county buildings were built there.
- 1840 -- The first Courthouse was built in Dover. It was built of logs and lasted until it was burned with no loss of records during the Civil War.
- After the log Courthouse burned, court was held in churches until a brick Courthouse was constructed on the Dover town square.
- May 16, 1888 -- The county seat was moved to Russellville, and Russellville's first couthouse was built in 1888. The present Pope County Courthouse was built in 1931.
There has been no record loss in Pope County.
Places / Localities
Poibnt Remove Creek
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Russellville Arkansas Family History Center
- Russelville, Arkansas
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pope County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).