Pope County, Arkansas Genealogy
Guide to Pope County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pope County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 2, 1829|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pope County Courthouse
100 W Main Street
Russellville, AR 72801
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1831,
county court records from 1857, voter and divorce records
from 1965; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, land and military
and court records 
- 1829-1830 -- A temporary county seat was established at the home of John Balinger on the Arkansas River.
- 1830 -- The county seat was established at old Norristown. No county buildings were built there.
- 1840 -- The first Courthouse was built in Dover. It was built of logs and lasted until it was burned with no loss of records during the Civil War.
- After the log Courthouse burned, court was held in churches until a brick Courthouse was constructed on the Dover town square.
- May 16, 1888 -- The county seat was moved to Russellville, and Russellville's first couthouse was built in 1888. The present Pope County Courthouse was built in 1931.
See an interactive map of Pope County boundary changes.
There has been no record loss in Pope County.
Places / Localities
Appleton · Atkins · Boiling Springs · Caglesville · Diamond · Dover · Freeman Springs · Gabriel Glass Village · Granny's Gap · Gravel Hill · Gunter Mountain · Hector · Leta · Lost Corner · London · Moccasin Gap · Moreland Point · Remove Creek · Pottsville · Pisgah · Rock Springs · Russellville · Scottsvile · Treat · Walnut Grove
- Men from this county served in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union),1 and the 31st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company E.2
1Allen, Desmond Walls. The Third Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union) Infantry (Arkansas Research: Conway, Arkansas,1987).
2. Bass, Ronald R. History of the Thirty-first Arkansas Confederate Infantry (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, 1996) p. 12.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to Family History Centers
- Russellville Arkansas Family History Center
- Russelville, Arkansas
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pope County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).