Plymouth County, Massachusetts genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Main Office with Land Court
50 Obery Street
Plymouth MA 02360
- Brockton Satellite Office
155 West Elm Street
Brockton MA 02301
- Rockland Satellite Office
920 Hingham Street
Rockland MA 02370
- Plymouth has played an important role in American colonial history. It was the final landing site of the first voyage of the Mayflower, and the location of the original settlement of the Plymouth Colony. Plymouth was established in 1620 by the English settlers known as separatists who had broken away from the Church of England, believing that the Church had not completed the work of the Protestant Reformation. These Pilgrims were credited with holding the first Thanksgiving feast.
- What is now Plymouth County was first organized into a County 8 June 1685.
Places / Localities
Bridgewater, Brockton, Hingham, Marshfield, Plymouth, Scituate, more . . .
- History of Plymouth County Massachussets (Google Books)
with Biographical Sketches of many of its Pioneers and Prominent Men
by D. Hamilton Hurd, pub. 1884, J. W. Lewis & Co., Philadelphia
1855 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search – Pilot Site. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
- To find a nearby Family History Center, pleae select:
- Country:United States of America
- Plymouth (or Bristol, Barnstable or Norfolk if they are closer to you.)
- Press/Click "Search" button
The days and hours may change without notice. Please check ahead.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Boston newspapers covering local news that included residents from Plymouth County communities.
Societies and Libraries
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- Mayflower Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Massachusetts Society of Genealogists
- The Plymouth County MA GenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Plymouth County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Plymouth County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Plymouth County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].