Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Pleasants County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pleasants County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 29, 1851|
|County Seat||Saint Mary's|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pleasants County Courthouse
301 Court Lane #101
Saint Mary's, WV 26170
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, and probate from 1853 Land records from 1851 Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records <ref name="HBG">Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pleasants County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.</ref>
See an interactive map of Pleasants County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Pleasants County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1976):209-210. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
The Pleasants County website of West Virginia GenWeb offers a listing of county cemeteries, with beautiful photographs of the cemeteries, and transcriptions of the burials found therein.
For tips on accessing Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Regiments. Service men in Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pleasants County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 20th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company G.
- - 26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
West Virginia Will Books
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1853-1970 - free.
Pleasants County WV Gen Web: The Pleasants County West Virginia website for US GenWeb is host to may excellent transcriptions of county records, including of Pleasants Co Birth Records from 1853-1891 from the LDS Family History Film #0163911, with only a couple of years missing
There are also marriage records available, from 1853 to 1931, transcribed from both LDS film #0163911 and from courthouse record.
Complying with the law enacted in 1853, Pleasants County deaths were recorded and transcriptions are available at this site also.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.