Plan a Research Trip to Wales
Travel to Wales
- It is possible to travel directly to Wales by air if you intend to visit the Cardiff area in the south?
- How do I get from London to Aberystwyth by train and bus?
- Can I get a rental car on the weekend when I arrive in one of the train or bus stations in Wales?
Travel while in Wales
Consider travel by car, bus and train. It is not always convenient to visit smaller towns, villages or farms by bus or train. Travel from east to west in both the north and south of the country is relatively simple, but if you plan to go to central Wales plan extra time for the beautiful winding roads and slow traffic.
What to do while in Wales
- Wales Tourist Information
- Visit the Welsh National Folk Museum in Cardiff or one of its many other sites.
- Every year in July The International Musical Eisteddfod is held in Llangollen.
- Every year in August The National Eisteddfod is held. In 2008 it takes place in Cardiff.
- Every year, in both uly and December, The Royal Welsh Show is held at Llanelwedd.
- If possible, plan for at least two days at the National Library of Wales. Prepare for a trip to the National Library of Wales so that you spend your time there efficiently. The more time you spend in preparation, the better your visit will be.
Consider making electronic copies and saving the new information on a website or other alternate source.
Visit an Archive or Library
- The National Library in Aberystwyth.
- The Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff (currently under reconstruction).
- The Ceredigion Archive in Aberystwyth.
- The Wrexham Archive
LDS Family History Centres
Local History or Society Centres
- Aberkenfig Resource Centre, Glamorgan.
- Merthyr Tydfil Town Library.
- The Clwyd Family History Resource Centre in Cefn Maer, Wrexham.
After you return home
Review the information you obtained and record it in an appropriate place.