Pima Indian Agency (Arizona)
The Pima Indian Agency, located in Sacaton, Arizona is the administrative office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs on the Gila River Indian Reservation. Its current supervising field office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs is the Phoenix Area Office.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Pima Agency, 1859-1861, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, roll 669. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll number 1661399.
Some of the records of the Pima Agency are in the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Los Angeles. Among the records there are:
- School attendance registers, 1901-1916
- Applications for enrollment at nonreservation Indian schools, 1905-1926
- Marriage cards, 1911-1912
- Individual Indian history files, ca. 1911-1918
- Health records, 1911-1951
- Tribal census rolls, 1911-1946
- School census records, 1915-1938
- Individual Indian identification and census cards, 1929-1933
Microfilm copies of...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Sisseton Agency, 1907-1935, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, rolls 104-105, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and their family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1724322-1724323). Reports for some years are missing.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1887, 1889-1891, 1894-1896, 1899, 1902, and 1919-1939. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, rolls 247-361. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm numbers 581882-581891). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.