Pike County, Pennsylvania Genealogy
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.7 Ethnic Groups
- 2.8 Gazetteers
- 2.9 Genealogy
- 2.10 History
- 2.11 Land and Property
- 2.12 Maps
- 2.13 Migration
- 2.14 Military
- 2.15 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.16 Newspapers
- 2.17 Occupations
- 2.18 Periodicals
- 2.19 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 2.20 Probate Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
Named for General Zebulon Montgomery Pike Jr., American soldier and explorer for whom Pikes Peak in Colorado is named. His Pike expedition mapped much of the southern part of the Louisiana Purchase.
Pine Grove Cemetery, Tafton BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Pike County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Federal (or United States) census records online, see: Pennsylvania Census.
There are no county or state census records available for Pennsylvania. County and city tax records can be used as a substitute when census records are not available.
Court of Common Pleas
Clerk of the Court
Orphan's Court (see Vital Records)
Emigration and Immigration
Land and Property
Recorder of Deeds
506 Broad Street
Milford, PA 18337
Phone: (570) 296-3508
Due to the lack of vital records for Pennsylvania, land records are an important tool in early Pennsylvania research. Land records will list the seller and purchaser of the property and may hide clues to family connections. Land records for Pike County are available from the recorder's office for 1814 to the present.
Currently there are no records available on-line.
Ancestor Tracks has a CD of the First Landowners of PA: Warrantees of Wayne & Pike Counties, Map & Index by Jason Torrey, 1814 ($). The CD contains first landowner names and tracts, the warrant register index for Northampton County (the source for both Pike and Wayne Counties), and the warrant registers for both counties.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
Finding Vital Records at Other Repositories
Additional vital records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pike County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Vital Records in online catalogs like:
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content