Pike County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to Pike County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pike County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||Decemeber 14, 1818|
|County Seat||Bowling Green|
|Address|| Pike County Courthouse|
115 West Main Street
Bowling Green, Mo 63334
Pike County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Recorder of Deeds has land records from 1819 and marriage records from 1825
- Clerk Circuit Court has court records
- See an interactive map of Pike County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Pike County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Map of Pike County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Pike County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Pike County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pike County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1854-1870 - Pike County Birth Index 1854-1870. Batches C515602 and C515603 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1820-1840 - Pike County Marriage Index 1820-1840. Batch M515601 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1825-1865 - Pike County Marriage Index 1825-1865. Batch M515602 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1881 - Pike County Marriage Index 1865-1881. Batch M515603 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Pike County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515604 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Pike County Genealogical Society
They have a number of resources available on their website that encompass the following:
- Churches and Cemeteries
Pike County Historical Society
1217 Kentucky Street
Louisiana, MO 63353
Phone: (573) 754-5303
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pike County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.