Pierce County, Washington Genealogy
Guide to Pierce County Washington genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pierce County, Washington|
Location in the state of Washington
Location of Washington in the U.S.
|Founded||December 22, 1852|
|Address|| Pierce County Courthouse|
930 Tacoma Ave South
Tacoma, WA 98402
Pierce County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Directories
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Migration
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 Pierce County Washington Genealogy References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 2 December 1852 from Thurston County
- County Seat: Tacoma 
- Neighboring Counties: King | Kitsap | Kittitas | Lewis | Mason | Thurston | Yakima 
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Pierce County, Washington Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Pierce County, Washington Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
- Sumner Cemetery, Sumner BillionGraves
- 1890 Veterans
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Lincoln (Tacoma)
- Tacoma Central
- Records of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Tacoma, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
World War II Files, 1942-1946
Public Welfare/Social Security Department, (Japanese Internment) Assistance Cases, Evacuee Referrals for Resettlement and Assistance, 1945-1946 from the Washington State Archives – Digital Archives
Local histories for Pierce County, Washington Genealogy may include biographies, history of churches, schools, local government with names of officials, military information, and more. See Washington Local Histories.
Land and Property
|Yes or Maybe ⇒||Y||M|
|Land Description and Dates||]]|
Land records (especially deeds) may give the name of a spouse, heirs, and witnesses, who may be relatives or in-laws.
Some military records for this county have been digitized at the Washington State Digital Archives.
Naturalization and Citizenship
The News Tribune (Tacoma)
Puyallup Herald (formerly Pierce County Herald)
Tacoma Obituary Index contains more than 350,000 entries. File is complete from 1984 to the present day.
Probate records identify heirs of the decedents, give the (approximate) death dates, and provide specifics about property holdings. The records were kept by the county judge.
These include wills, inheritance records, dockets, and other documents regarding property and estates of individuals who have died. See also Court Records for civil actions involving estates. Also see Washington Probate Records.
Pierce County Courthouse
930 Tacoma Ave South
Tacoma, WA 98402
County Auditor has marriage and land records.
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records from 1890 and adoption records. 
Family History Centers
- Washington Death Certificates 1907-1960 A free internet index to the 1907-1960 death certificates can be found at FamilySearch Record Search, no images are available. A transcribed death certificate may contain such information as name of the deceased, date and place of death, age, gender, birth date and birth place, mother’s maiden name and name of spouse, place of residence, occupation and certificate numbers.
Pierce County Washington Genealogy References
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Pierce County, Washington" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierce_County,_Washington (accessed 15 Feb 2013).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Skamania County, Washington page 734, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.