Petersham St Peter

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:29, 31 May 2012 by Cottrells (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above." to "{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}")

Jump to: navigation, search

England  Gotoarrow.png  Surrey Gotoarrow.png  Surrey Parishes Gotoarrow.png  Petersham St Peter

Parish History

'PETERSHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Richmond, First division of the hundred of Kingston, E. division of Surrey, 12 miles (S. W. by W.) from London; containing 636 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 2800 acres, of which about 100 are arable, 140 pasture, 83 in gardens and lawns, and the remainder woods and parks chiefly the property of the crown. The village is pleasantly situated on the southern bank of the Thames, and in it and the vicinity are many handsome residences. Ham House, a noble mansion in the parish, belonging to the Earl of Dysart, was erected in 1610, and underwent great alterations, and was furnished at a large expense, in the time of Charles II. It is a curious specimen of that age; the ceilings are painted by Verrio, and the rooms present the massy magnificence of decoration then in fashion: in the centre is a large hall surrounded by an open gallery; the balustrades of the grand staircase are of walnut wood, and embellished with military trophies. The park contains very fine timber, especially elms, Scotch firs, and lime-trees. The celebrated John, Duke of Argyll, was born in the mansion. In 1790, George III. purchased a residence here for his late Majesty, William IV., when Duke of Clarence, who sold it some time afterwards to the Earl of Huntingtower, at whose decease it was again bought, in 1835, by the crown, and pulled down, when the grounds were thrown into Richmond Park. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Kew [which also see].

The church, which is a brick edifice, supposed to have been erected about the commencement of the sixteenth century, was much enlarged in 1840. Petersham gives the title of Viscount to the family of Stanhope, earls of Harrington.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Online Petersham St Peter Parish Register Images and Indexes
 
Baptisms
Marriages
Burials
Earliest
.
.
1578
Indexes 1578-1840 FindMyPast[2]

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Wikipedia
Wikipedia has more about this subject: Petersham Parish Church
  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 558-564. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51211 Date accessed: 18 November 2010.
  2. 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.