Perry County, Ohio Genealogy
|Perry County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The County was named for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, hero of the War of 1812. Perry County is one of the 88 counties in Ohio.
See an interactive map of Perry County boundary changes.
- Perry County, Ohio. Geography, villages, townships, other communities, ghost towns.
- Adcock/Cochran/Mt. Hope Cemetery, Jackson Township, Inscriptions. Compiled in 1982 by Timothy E. Fisher from graves still intact.
- First Methodist Church, New Lexington, Perry County, Ohio Inscriptions. Compiled in the fall of 1957 by Harry O. Wright from graves then still intact. Published in "The Methodist Megaphone".
- St. Paul's Church Cemetery, Glenford, Perry County, Ohio Inscriptions. Compiled in February 1979 by Dorothy Smith and Caral & Stephen (Melchling) Bennett.
- Perry County, Ohio Cemeteries. A listing of all of the cemeteries in Perry County, Ohio with maps, driving directions and a local area search function.
- United States Census Mortality Schedules, 1850 through 1880 (FamilySearch Historical Records).
- United States Census Slave Schedule, 1850 (FamilySearch Historical Records).
- United States Census 1850.
- United States Census 1860.
- United States Census 1870.
- United States Census 1880.
- United States Census 1900.
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Many Land records for Perry County have been microfilmed or abstracted. Some of those copies are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. For a listing of thier holdings, see the topic details from their catalog.
History of Fairfield and Perry Counties, Ohio ... Chicago:W.H. Beers & Co., 1883.
History of Perry County by Clement L. Martzolff.....Published by Ward & Weiland New Lexington, Ohio..Columbus, Ohio Press of Fred J. Heer 1902.
The Book of Perry County, An Historic Industrial Portfolio, published 1909.
Howe's Historical Collections of Ohio, The Ohio Centennial Edition, Copyright 1888.
Ohio Township Resource Book... Section 1: Township Level Population Characteristics and Trends 1960-2000.
Thornville's First 150 Years 1811-1961, The Sequicentennial Program, 16 pages.
The History of Thornville, Thornport and Area, Ohio Published in 1977 by "The Thornville History Committee" 72 pages.
- 1846 Plat Maps for Jackson and Reading Townships, and for the Towns of Crossenville, New Reading, and Somerset.
- 1859 Plat Maps.
- 1875 Plat Maps of Thorn, Hopewell, Madion Township.
- 1935 Plat Maps.
- 1974 Perry County, Ohio Plat Maps.
- Map of Ohio highlighting Perry County.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Lucas County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lucas County.
- - 114th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies F, G, and I
Roster of Ohio Soldiers 1861-1866. War of the Rebellion Volume III, 21st-36th Reg'ts. Infantry.
Many Probate records for Perry County have been microfilmed or abstracted. Some of those copies are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. For a listing of thier holdings, see the topic detailsfrom their catalog.
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at Ohio Deaths; index, 1908-1911]. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Many vital records for Perry County have been microfilmed or abstracted. Some of those copies are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. For a listing of thier holdings, see the topic details from their catalog.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. USGenWeb for Perry County.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Genealogy and Historical Information for Perry County, Ohio.