Penobscot, Hancock County, Maine Genealogy
Penobscot is a town and former plantation on the southwest side of Hancock County on the eastern shore of the Penobscot River and surrounding the headwaters of the Bagaduce River. It was settled in the 1760s by British subjects from west of the Penobscot River. It is named for the Native Americans who were there when European settlement began (first in Castine in 1613).
It was first organized from Township Number 3 East of Penobscot River, Livermore Survey (T3 EPR LS) (aka Township Number 3 West of Union River) as Majorbigwaduce Plantation (aka Magorbigwaduce, aka Magabagwaduce, aka Maja Bagadoose) prior to 1787. In 1787 this plantation was incorporated as the Town of Penobscot.
Town boundary changes: Penobscot set off land to form Castine in 1796; and more land to the same in 1817, 1839, and 1927. Penobscot set off land to form Brooksville in 1817. Land was also set off to Surry in 1843. Parts of Surry and Blue Hill were annexed in 1845; and part of Sedgwick was annexed in 1857.
County boundary changes: Hancock County was set off from Lincoln County in 1789.
Libraries and Historical Societies
- Internet Archive Full History of Penobscot County, Maine
- Penobscot, Hancock County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 12 November 2013).
Adjacent towns: Hancock Co.: ?