Pennington County, South Dakota Genealogy
|Pennington County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 11, 1875|
|County Seat||Rapid City|
Pennington County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Pennington County Courthouse
315 S Joseph Street;
Rapid City, SD 57709-0230
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1905
and land records; County Treasurer has marriage records
from 1887; Clerk Court has divorce and court records from
1877 and probate records from 1884
1875--Pennington County was created 11 January 1875 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Rapid City 
- Keystone Cemetery, Keystone BillionGraves
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Rapid City
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Pennington County, South Dakota, p.627
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).