- 1 Quick History
- 2 Resources
History of Payson, Utah County, Utah.
Payson has a city web site, with the current calendar of community events, education information, parks and recreation and other information.
Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at official Payson City website
Payson City Cemetery in Payson UT at Find A Grave
805 E 400 N
Payson City Cemetery Department
439 W Utah Ave
Payson, UT 84651-2042
- Utah Gravestone Photo Project Table of names with "updated" dates for Payson cemetery
- BillionGraves Headstone photos GPS tagged and location shown on Google map, index of photographed headstones
- Findagrave.com Search for names in Payson cemetery
- Names in Stone Search for names in Payson cemetery, will show location of plot.
- Payson City Cemetery from Utah State History website (history.utah.gov): Descriptive information (contact info, number of plots, etc.)
- Payson City Cemetery on Official City Website (payson.org)
- Cemetery Burial List of persons buried in Payson Cemetery (PDF, 179 pages)
Church History and Records
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Park (Payson)
- Payson 1
- Payson 2
- Payson 3
- Payson 4
Utah County and Utah Territorial Business Directory, Culmer, 1879-80 - Free (Don's List)
- includes every resident in Utah County, Payson begins on the bottom of page 233-239
Genealogical and Historical Societies
The Payson Historical Society was founded in 1989 to collect and preserve historical items pertinent to Payson City History.
Georgraphy and Demographics
- The Georgraphy and Demographics of the 2000 Census listed 12,716 people.
- The History of Payson, the city initially called Peteetneet Creek, after a Ute Indian Chief is located about 60 miles south of Salt Lake, and is in Utah County.
Payson City Library is located on Main Street
- Peteetneet Museum and Cultrual Arts Center is located in the historical Peteetneet School built in 1901, 10 North 600 East, Payson, UT 84651 (801) 465-5265 FAX (801)465-9427
- Take a Walking Tour of Old Fort Peteetneet, Old Fort Payson, and Historic Payson and find out about some of the old homes, and historical sites in down town Payson.
- Exhibits on the three floors of the Peteetneet Museum.
- The Payson Chronicle 145 Esat Utah Ave, Payson, Utah 84651, phone 801-465-9221
- The Deseret News will have a section on the current Payson City news
- The Salt Lake Tribune reports on Payson local news, this paper is out of Salt Lake City.
- The Daily Herald is a Utah Valley newspaper which also reports on the Payson news.
Pioneers and People of Interest in Payson
- Irene Colvin Corbett was a Payson Teacher and nurse who went to London to study, and on her return was lost on the Titanic, read a Deseret News Article.
- Daniel Stark a Payson resident came on the Ship Brooklyn to Califorina, later he headed President Young called those Saints to come to Utah to help during Johnstons Army.
- The Curtis brothers, Lyman, Joseph and George were some of the first settlers of Peteetneet.
- The Ute Indian Chief, "BlackHawk," is buried at the BlackHawk Memorial Park 2 miles south of Payson. He was a key figure in Utah's Black Hawk War of 1865-1872.
- Walkara, was BlackHawk's Uncle, and a Ute Indian Leader who lead an attack on Fort Payson.
- James Pace was requested by President Brigham Young to settle Peteetneet Creek, arriving on 20 Oct 1850.
- Andrew Jackson Stewart had the first store in Payson, and John Courtland Searle and these families were some of the first settlers in Payson.
There are ten schools listed in Payson area, which is part of the Nebo School District.
- Barnett Elementary School 456 N 300 E, Payson, UT (801) 465-6000
- Mt Nebo Junior High School 851 W 450 S, Payson, UT (801) 465-6040
- Nebo District Community School 1050 S Main St, Payson, UT (801) 465-6031
- Payson Junior High School 1025 Highway 198, Payson, UT (801) 465-6015
- Payson Middle School 851 W 450 S, Payson, UT (801) 465-6040
- Spring Lake Elementary School 1750 S 500 W, Payson, UT (801) 465-6070
- Starbright Pre School 174 N 200 W, Payson, UT (801) 465-4496
- Taylor Elementary School 92 S 500 W, Payson, UT (801) 465-6050
- Wilson Elementary School 590 W 500 S, Payson, UT (801) 465-6060
- Payson High School Grades 10-12 1050 S Main St Payson, UT 84651-3319 801-465-6025