Payne County, Oklahoma Genealogy
Payne County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Payne County, Oklahoma|
| Map of Oklahoma highlighting Payne County|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Address|| Payne County Courthouse|
606 S. Husband Street
Stillwater, Oklahoma 74074
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1890--Payne County was created in 1890. It was an original county.
County seat: Stillwater 
For tips on accessing Payne County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Cushing Oklahoma Family History Center
- Stillwater Oklahoma Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Payne County, Oklahoma. Page 561 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).