Parke County, Indiana Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
October 1833 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Portrait and biographical record of Montgomery, Parke and Fountain Counties, Indiana containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States. (1893. Chicago: Chapman Bros.) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- B.F. Bowen & Co. History of Parke and Vermillion Counties, Indiana: With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. (Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen, 1913.) 977.2 H2hpv FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Beckwith, H. W., J. H. Beadle, and S. B. Gookins. 1880. History of Vigo and Parke Counties together with historic notes on the Wabash Valley gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscripts, private and official correspondence and other authentic though, for the most part, out-of-the-way sources. (Chicago: H.H. Hill & N. Iddings.) FHL Collection other libraries Family History Archives
Civil War service men from Pike County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pike County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Companies E, H, and K
- 4th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company K
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies G, and I
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company F
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 43rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 58th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 78th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (60 days, 1862), Companies C, and D
- 80th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 85th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and B
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company B
- 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 149th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and I
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
- Parke County obituaries (1853-2006) are available by mail from the Rockville Public Library. An index to the obituaries is available online at Parke County Obituaries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Parke County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).