|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
Fallon Band of Paiute-Shoshone
Fallon Band of Paiute-Shoshone
8955 Mission Road
Fallon, Nevada 89406
Telephone: (702) 423-6075
Local call from the Reno area: 323-3780
Fort McDermitt Paiute
Fort McDermitt Paiute
P.O. Box 457
McDermitt, Nevada 89421
Telephone: (702) 532-8259
U-tu Utu Gwaitu Paiute
U-tu Utu Gwaitu Paiute Tribe
567 Yellow Jacket Road
Benton, CA 93512
Bands and Groups of the Paiute Tribe and Their Reservations/Localities
The term or designation of Paiute Indians is a very broad categorization of several bands and/or federally recognized tribes within the group so named. They are sometimes divided into Northern Paiute and Southern Paiute, and are sometimes grouped together with other tribes such as the Shoshone or Bannock Indians. For the most part, they have historically lived in the Great Basin area, and have ranged from Oregon and Idaho on the north to Arizona and southern California on the south, and from Utah on the east to northern California on the west. Some of the tribes, bands, or groups of Paiutes, with their colonies or reservations, include:
- Big Pine Band of Owens Valley Paiute Shoshone Indians -- Big Pine Reservation (California)
- Bridgeport Paiute Indian Colony of California
- Burns Paiute Tribe -- Burns Paiute Colony (Oregon)
- Cedar City Band of Paiutes (see Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah)
- Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians -- Fort Independence Reservation (California)
- Fort McDermitt Paiute -- Fort McDermitt Reservation (Nevada and Oregon)
- Indian Peaks Band of Paiutes (see Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah)
- Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians -- Kaibab Reservation (Arizona)
- Kanosh Band of Paiutes (see Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah)
- Koosharem Band of Paiutes (see Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah)
- Las Vegas Tribe of Paiute Indians -- Las Vegas Indian Colony (Nevada)
- Lovelock Paiute Tribe -- Lovelock Indian Colony (Nevada)
- Northern Paiute -- Malheur Reservation (Oregon)
- Moapa Band of Paiute Indians -- Moapa River Reservation (Nevada)
- Pahrump Band of Paiute Indians -- Pahrump Colony (Nevada)
- Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah
- Paiute-Shoshone Indians of the Bishop Community -- Bishop Colony (California)
- Paiute-Shoshone Indians of Duck Valley -- Duck Valley Reservation (Idaho and Nevada)
- Paiute-Shoshone Tribe -- Fallon Reservation and Colony (Nevada)
- Paiute-Shoshone Indians of the Lone Pine Community -- Lone Pine Reservation (California)
- Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe -- Pyramid Lake Reservation (Nevada)
- San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe of Arizona
- Shivwits Band of Paiutes (see Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah)
- Shoshone-Paiute Tribes of the Duck Valley Reservation -- Duck Valley Reservation (Idaho and Nevada)
- Summit Lake Paiute Tribe of Nevada -- Summit Lake Reservation (Nevada)
- Utu Utu Gwaitu Paiute Tribe -- Benton Paiute Reservation (California)
- Walker River Paiute Tribe -- Walker River Reservation (Nevada)
- Winnemuca Band of Paiute -- Winnemucca Colony (Nevada)
- Yerington Paiute Tribe -- Yerington Colony and Campbell Ranch (Nevada)
Important Web Sites
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published