Page County, Iowa Genealogy
|Page County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Getting Started
- 5.2 Research Guides
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Genealogy
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Law and Legislation
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Newspapers
- 5.14 Occupations
- 5.15 Obituaries
- 5.16 Periodicals
- 5.17 Prisions
- 5.18 Probate
- 5.19 Taxation
- 5.20 Vital Records
- 6 Family History Centers
- 7 Societies and Libraries
- 8 Web Sites
- 9 References
Page County's civil records start the following years
- Page County, Iowa is named in honor of Captain John Page of the 4th U.S. Infantry, who was mortally wounded in the battle of Palo Alto during the Mexican American War.
1847--Page County was created 24 February 1847 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Appanoose County prior to organization 22 March 1852. County seat: Clarinda 
See an interactive map of Iowa boundary changes.
1858 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Iowa WPA Gravestone Project -- Nice name index for many cemeteries in Iowa
- Find A Grave has Page County cemeteries with some headstone pictures. If yours isn't among the photographs you can request to have one taken and posted.
- Rose Hill Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- An article about the Federal and State Census Records that exist for Iowa. Iowa Census
- Iowa Page County Recorder's Office has property and misc. records dating back to 1838. Genealogy research is not performed by the Page County Recorder’s office. However, this office has land and vital records that are open to the public.
- 1839 - 1875 Land Abstracts Andreas Plat Book 1900 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Law and Legislation
-  David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures. This Collection features the city of Shenandoah.
- 1st Iowa Regiment Cavalry ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- WWII Honor Roll of Dead and Missing ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Page County Obituaries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- A Family Search article about the Probate Records that exist for Iowa. Iowa Probate Records
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1830-1990 ~ FamilySearch
Family History Centers
507 E Pioneer Ave
Shenandoah, Ia 51601
Hours T 1pm-4pm; W 7pm-9pm; Th 10am-3pm.; Closures: Closed the last two weeks in December.
Societies and Libraries
- Lied Public Library
100 E. Garfield St.
Clarinda, IA 51632
Monday: 12pm-8pm;Tues-Thur: 9:30am-6pm; Fri: 9:30am-5:00pm; Sat: 9:30am-1pm; Sun: Closed
- Page County, IA Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Page County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Page County, IA Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Page County, IAGenWeb (USGenWeb)
- Family History Library Catalog(Family Search)
- Genealogy Trails History Group(Genealogy Trails History)
- Mailing List: IAPAGE-L (Page County, Iowa List) (RootsWeb)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).