Ouray Indian Agency (Utah)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Tabaquache or Uncompahgre Ute
In 1881, the Tabaquache (or Uncompahgre) Utes moved from the Uncompahgre Valley in Colorado to a reservation on the Green River in Utah, next to the Uintah Reservation. The Los Pinos Agency, to which they were assigned, was changed to the Ouray Agency. In 1886, the Uintah Agency and the Ouray Agency were consolidated.
Eugene E. White  FHL book 973 B4w v.29
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Ouray Agency, 1883-1887, are on roll 34 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617727).
Uintah Ouray Band, Uintah-Ute, Uncompahgre Band of Utes, Census, March 1946: FHL film 1035932 Item 2
Uintah and Whiteriver Utes, 1867-1948 FHL book 970.3 Ut2f Vol. 1-2 also one microfilm FHL 1035932 item 3
School Records 1916-1954,
School Census, reports and correspondence 1916-1940 FHL film 1275619 Items 5-6
School Census, reports and correspondence 1916-1954 FHL film 1275620 Items 1-4
White River Band FHL film 0001763
Uncampahgre Band Vol. 1 FHL film 0001764
Uncampahgre Band Vol. 2 pt. 1 FHL film 0001765
Uncampahgre Band Vol 2. pt. 2 FHL film 0001766
Unitah Band FHL film 0001767
Uintah Band FHL film 0001768
Uintah Band FHL film 0001769
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 48.
- Experiences of a Special Indian Agent. by E.E. White University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M1070, p. 48.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.