Otsego County, Michigan Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Otsego County Courthouse
225 W Main St.
Gaylord, MI 49735-1348
Phone: (517) 732-6484
Otsego County; 225 W Main St; Gaylord, MI 49735-1348; Ph. 517.732.6484 Details: (Formerly Okkuddo Co. Name changed to Otsego 8 Mar 1843. Attached to Alpena, Mackinac, Cheboygan, Alpena & Antrim Cos prior to organization 12 Mar 1875) (Co Clk has b, m, d, div & ct rec from 1875; Co Treas has land rec) www.rootsweb.com/~miotsego/index.html
1840--Otsego County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County. Formerly Okkuddo County, until name changed to Otsego 8 March 1843. It was attached to Alpena, Mackinac, Cheboygan, and Antrim Counties prior to organization 12 March 1875.
County seat: Gaylord 
Civil War service men from Otsego County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Otsego County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).