Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 The Orem Utah Sunset Heights Multi-Stake Family History Center
- 2 Center Location
- 3 Hours
- 4 Holiday Schedule:
- 5 One on One Help
- 6 Classes and Workshops
- 7 July Classes- Our Pioneering Heritage
- 8 August Classes - It's Cool in the Family Tree
- 9 October: Gathering Leaves from the Family Tree
- 10 November: All Are Safely Gathered In
- 12 No December Classes,
- 13 but continue to DECORATE YOUR FAMILY TREE!!
The Orem Utah Sunset Heights Multi-Stake Family History Center
We serve patrons in the four stake area of Cherry Hill, Lakeview, Sunset Heights and Vineyard. The location is adjacent to Utah Valley University.
• One-on-one assistance
• Free access to subscription websites
• Classes on Family Tree, FamilySearch, subscription websites and various research topics
1260 South 400 West, Orem, Utah Ring bell to gain access.
Get a parking pass from center for use before 3 pm.
Monday, Thursday and Friday: 10 am to 4 pm
Tuesday and Wednesday: 10 am to 4 pm and 6:30 pm to 9 pm
(Call after 8 pm. If there are no patrons, staff may close the center.)
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Group Reservation: Contact Assistant Directors Rod (801-800-0252) or Pat (801-800-0025) Cuthbert to schedule the date and time.
- Closed for Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 16 through Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Closed Martin Luther King Day - Monday January 20, 2014
- Closed Presidents Day - Monday, February 17, 2014
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, April 5, 1014
- Closed Memorial Day weekend - Saturday, May 24 and Monday May 26, 2014
- Closed Independence Day – Friday, July 4, and Saturday July 5, 2014
- Closed Pioneer Day – Thursday, July 24 , 2014
- Closed Labor Day – Monday, September 1, 2014
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, October 4, 2014
- Closed Friday October 31 after 4 pm, 2014
- Closed Thanksgiving - Wednesday after 1 pm, througjh Saturday, November 26-29, 2014
- Closed for Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 22 through Thursday, January 1, 2015
One on One Help
We offer BASIC HELP any time we ore open in three areas:
Getting Started with Your Family History - Using Family Tree - Using Family Search
Classes and Workshops
Our Focus this year is to teach you how to use the many tools found on FamilySearch.
Our classes are regularly scheduled during the 1st and 3rd weeks of each month.
One class is taught the first Tuesday at 11 am and repeated the first Thursday at 7 pm.
The second class is taught the 3rd Tuesday at 11 and repeated the 3rd Thursday at 7 pm.
In January, May and October the first of each class falls on a Thursday and is repeated the next Tuesday.
We help those preparing for missions to do the Family History assignments.
We help with the BSA Genealogy Merit Badge.
All classes are taught at Sunset Heights FHC.
July Classes- Our Pioneering Heritage
Life Sketches in Family Tree - 1st Tues, July 1 @ 11am repeated 1st Thurs, July 3@ 7pm
What is a life sketch? Why do I need one for my ancestor? It is the first item under your ancestor's name on the FamilySearch Family Tree, but it's often the last item to be completed. A life sketch is simply the story of a life, the dash between the birth date and the death date. It's the most interesting part of our lives. Including a life sketch for someone on our Family Tree is short, simple and easy to work on with other interested family members. Come, learn more and work on a life sketch for someone you know and love right in our class.
British Research – 3rd Tues, July 15 @11 am repeated 3rd Thurs, July 17 @ 7pm
Millions of records from the British Isles are available online. This class will focus on the kinds of records available and on one premier web site for British research, Find My Past. Find My Past offers access to the Civil Registration Index for England & Wales, parish records, census records, city directories, and their most unique database - Passenger Lists of Ships Leaving the UK.
August Classes - It's Cool in the Family Tree
Cleaning Up the Family Tree
Tues, Aug 5 @ 11am or Thurs, Aug 7@ 7pm
Correct individual information, sources and notes.
Instructor: Marilyn Thomsen
Bookmarking Favorite Sites
Tues, Aug 19 @11 am or Thurs, Aug 21@ 7pm
Create browser bookmarks to speed up your research.
Instructor: Susan Cosney
September Classes - Be a Life-long Learner
Getting Help in FamilySearch/Family Tree
Tues, Sep 2@ 11am repeated Thurs, Sep 4@ 7pm Learn to get the help you need in FamilySearch and Family Tree using the “Get Help” drop down, Research Assistant, Product Support, Help Center, Videos, and the User’s Guide Instructor: Debbie Seamons
Newspaper Research Tues, Sep 16@11 am repeated Thurs, Sep 18@ 7pm
Description: Digitized newspapers are newest tool for family history research.
Learn where and how to use this tool. Instructor: Marilyn Thomsen
October: Gathering Leaves from the Family Tree
Tools: Using Free Affiliated Apps
Thurs, Oct 2@ 7pm or Tues, Oct 7 @ 11am
Tree Connect; Puzzilla; Source Tracker; Pandora’s Hope Chest
Instructor: Sheryl Kempton
Thurs, Oct 16@ 7pm repeated Tues, Oct 21@11 am
Description: Adding and extending your family tree on this powerful
Subscription site that is free to LDS Members Instructor: Joy Stubbs
November: All Are Safely Gathered In
Adding Photos, Documents and Sources to FamilySearch.
Tues, Nov 4th@ 11am repeated Thurs, Nov 6th@ 7pm
Description: Adding Photos and Documents to your ancestors on
FamilySearch.org will be broken down in to steps. Instructor: Marilyn Thomsen
Source Linker: A quick way to attach census records to all members of the family.
Tues, Nov 18 @11 am repeated Thurs, Nov 20@ 7pm
Instructor: Jeanne Gunnel