Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Orem Utah Sunset Heights Multi-Stake Family History Center
We serve patrons in the four stake area of Cherry Hill, Lakeview, Sunset Heights and Vineyard. The location is adjacent to Utah Valley University.
• One-on-one assistance
• Free access to subscription websites
• Classes on Family Tree, FamilySearch, subscription websites and various research topics
== Center Location ==
1260 South 400 West, Orem, Utah Ring bell to gain access. Get a parking pass from center for use before 3 pm. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
== Hours ==
Monday, Thursday and Friday: 10 am to 4 pm Tuesday and Wednesday: 10 am to 4 pm and 6:30 pm to 9 pm (Call after 8 pm. If there are no patrons, staff may close the center.) Closed Saturday and Sunday
Group Reservation: Contact Assistant Directors Rod (801-800-0252) or Pat (801-800-0025) Cuthbert to schedule the date and time.
- Closed for Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 16 through Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Closed Martin Luther King Day - Monday January 20, 2014
- Closed Presidents Day - Monday, February 17, 2014
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, April 5, 1014
- Closed Memorial Day weekend - Saturday, May 24 and Monday May 26, 2014
- Closed Independence Day – Friday, July 4, and Saturday July 5, 2014
- Closed Pioneer Day – Thursday, July 24 , 2014
- Closed Labor Day – Monday, September 1, 2014
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, October 4, 2014
- Closed Friday October 31 after 4 pm, 2014
- Closed Thanksgiving - Wednesday after 1 pm, througjh Saturday, November 26-29, 2014
- Closed for Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 22 through Thursday, January 1, 2015
One on One Help
We offer BASIC HELP any time we ore open in three areas:
Getting Started with Your Family History - Using Family Tree - Using Family Search
Classes and Workshops
Our Focus this year is to teach you how to use the many tools found on FamilySearch.
Our classes are regularly scheduled during the 1st and 3rd weeks of each month.
One class is taught the first Tuesday at 11 am and repeated the first Thursday at 7 pm.
The second class is taught the 3rd Tuesday at 11 and repeated the 3rd Thursday at 7 pm.
In January, May and October the first of each class falls on a Thursday and is repeated the next Tuesday.
All classes taught at Sunset Heights FHC.
Writers Workshop every Wed at 3:30 pm
Henry Miles presents a fun approach to writing your family history in “one experience essays.” To prepare for class, attendees should choose one experience to write about and come to class prepared to relate that experience orally.
Ancestry 1 by Jeanne Gunnell Tues Feb 18 @ 11 am or Thurs Feb 20 @ 7 pm
Learn how to navigate through Ancestry.com’s 12 billion historical records and 55 million family trees to help search out your family history. This is the first of 3 classes that will be offered and is an overview of the records available.
Clearing Names for Temple Work and Printing FORs by Dennis Herre
Finding individuals and families that need temple ordinances, preparing the names, checking for duplication, rules for name submission, and printing the ordinance requests to take to the Temple.
Tues Mar 4th @ 11 am or Thurs Mar 6th @ 7 pm
Ancestry 2 by Cheryl Fugal
Tues, Mar 18 @ 11 am or Thurs, Mar 20 @ 7 pm
This is the second in a 3 part series to learn how to use Ancesty.com. This class will cover Census Records, “Suggested records”, US city directories, yearbooks, and collaboration with others.
Searching Historical Records in FamilySearch by Sheryl Kempton
Tues Apr 1 @ 11 am repeated Thur Apr 3 @ 7 pm
Ancestry 3 by Lana Herre
3rd class in the series to learn to use Ancestry.com. Learn about military records, Public Member trees, Biographies and Histories, newspapers, and ancestry's learning center.