Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family History Center serves patrons in the three stake area of Cherry Hill, Lakeview and Sunset Heights. The location is ajucent to Utah Valley University and across from Krispy Kreme Donuts. The staff pride themselves on ONE-ON-ONE help. Staff have, or are currently serving as consultants with BYU's Regional Center, the Regional Family History Training Center, Family History Library and FamilySearch Support.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- Address: 1260 South 400 West, Orem, Utah(White chapel across the street from Krispy Kreme.)
- Ring bell to gain access. Get a parking pass from center for use before 3 pm.
- Location on Map
- Monday - Friday 10 am to 4 pm,
- Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:30 pm to 9 pm.
- Saturday 10 am to 1 pm
- (Call after 8pm. If no patrons are at center Staff may close the center.)
Group Reservation: E-mail or Contact the Director, Marilyn Thomsen 801-787-8086
Holiday Schedule: There will be no classes scheduled at the Sunset Heights Tri-stake Family History Center in the month of December. There will, however, be Family Tree training on every shift. Family Tree is now up and running on FamilySearch; sign-in using your LDS registration information. The center will close for the Holidays on December 17th and open again on January 3rd.
- Closed Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 17 thru Wednesday, January 2, 2013
- Closed Martin Luther King Day - Monday January 21, 2013
- Closed General Conference – Saturday April 6. 2013
- Closed Memorial - Monday May 27, 2013
- Closed Independence Day - Thursday July 4, 2013
- Closed Pioneer Day - Wed. July 24, 2013
- Closed Labor Day - Monday September 2, 2013
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, October 6, 2013
- Closed Thanksgiving - Thursday thru Saturday, November 21, 22, 23
Calendar and Events
All classes taught at Sunset Heights FHC.
There will be no classes scheduled at the Sunset Heights Tri-stake Family History Center in the month of December. There will, however, be Family Tree training on every shift. Family Tree is now up and running on FamilySearch. Sign-in using your LDS registration information. The center will close for the Holidays on December 17th and open again on January 3rd
Start at the Beginning
|Class Topic||Date and Time|
FS – Historical Records: Productive Searches
|Friday, January 4th - 11 am|
|Tuesday, January 22 - 7 pm|
Class Description: FamilySearch has a large Historical Records Collection which have been digitized and are now available online and accessible from the opening page of the FamilySearch website. It includes both indexed records and those which are browseable. Learn techniques for conducting thorough and productive searches in these records. (1 hr class)
Indexing – the latest focus Thursday, January 10th - 11AM
and again at 7 PM
Class Description: The 1940 Census is completed! So come and learn how to index the records available now (1 hr class)
Ancestry.com 1 Tuesday, January 29th - 11AM &
Thursday, January 31st - 7 PM
Class Description: You've heard of it, now learn to use it. Part one-an overview of Ancestry.com, search techniques, using the card catalog, immigration and travel, and photos. This is the first of a 3 class series.
Getting Started - 3 wk class Thursdays, January 17th, 24th and 31st – 11 AM
Class Description: Getting Started with Family History - Beginner Class for the true beginner or anyone who needs a refresher course. Thursday Series, Jan 17, 24, 31, 11am. Three classes of 60-90 minutes each. Videos, discussion, hands-on workshop. Designed for people comfortable with computers but unsure of how to start your family history.
BEFORE THE CLASS -You will need to register for an LDS Account if you do not already have one and bring your username and password to the class. Come to the FHC for help to register at least one day in advance of the class.
Research Tips and Tricks Tuesday, January 15th - 11 AM
Class Description: Use inferential reasoning to break through many tough genealogical problems. Learn to look beyond what records tell you, piecing together bits of information to gain knowledge that no record may tell you all by itself.
Future Class Schedule: see Blog [htttp://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com]/
Staff Training Meetings: Second Tuesday evening each month at 7 pm.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Record managment programs: Legacy, Rootsmagic, Ancestral Quest, Family Tree Maker, PAF, FamilyInsight
- Pedigree Resource File discs 1-145
- Microfilms and microfiche
- Scanner and Photoshop software
- Map My family Tree, PAF Companion
- AniMap Software.
- Nauvoo Database
- Mormon Immigration Vital Record Database
- Books to assist research such as: Sources, Red Book, Philmont Parish Register,
Hardware and Equipment
- Microfilm and microfiche reader
- 12 computers with access to familysearch.org portal
- Wireless internet access with plugs and room for tables and access for up to 30 laptops
Staff Research Specialties
Powerpoint presentations for Boy Scout Merit Badge
Classes for Young Women, Merry Miss Groups
FamilySearch Support Specialists
- England/British Isles
- Spanish/Central America
- LDS Research
- U. S. New England, Mid South, Southern
Resources in the Local Area
BYU Family History Regional Center, Orem Library, Utah Valley University. <fck:hr>
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.) <fck:hr>
Volunteer at the Center
(Seeking Volunteers able to serve on Saturdays and in the evening. Also a wiki blogger and a computer s Additonal helps ----Adding details to a FHC page article.